●14. Diwali●

November 11, 2015

Diwali. One of the most popular festivals of Hinduism, it spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair. People celebrate it very enthusiastically to commemorate the returning of Lord Rama to his kingdom, Ayodhya after a long period of time of 14 years of exile after defeating the Ravana. Its celebration includes millions of lights shining on housetops, outside doors and windows, around temples and other buildings in the communities and countries where it is observed.

Just like every year, Amaya woke up early today. So early. It was four in the morning when she checked the clock. She ran into the bathroom and brushed her teeth. She stepped out, checked on Ansh and Disha and then went downstairs. She cleaned the house first and it almost took one and a half hour to her. Once she was done with cleaning, she again went upstairs to get ready. She entered the room, took her clothes for today and stepped into the bathroom. After taking a quick shower, she stepped out wearing her golden sleeved red blouse and skirt. She took her red and golden saree and wore it. She dried her hair with a towel and then filled the partition of her hair with vermilion. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. She never dressed up like this after Himansh's death. Watching herself, dressed up like this was like killing herself and her love for Himansh.

Amaya shook her head, wiping her tears away and chucking all the thoughts. She looked up at the clock, it showed 6:05. Descending the stairs, she directly ran into the kitchen and started making the puja thal. She arranged everything in a steel plate. As she was filling the kalash [pot] with uncooked rice, his oh so stern voice rang into her ears. And just like always, she was startled.

"Why are you up so early?"

Amaya composed herself first and then replied Rishaan, turning to face him, "It's Diwali." It looked like he just woke up. He was in his loose T-shirt and track pants. "Happy Diwali." She wished him with a smile.

"Happy Diwali." Rishaan wished her back.

Amaya again turned and continued her work. Rishaan looked at her, her body was covered in this heavy red and golden colored saree. Saree. Just a simple piece of cloth that we wrap around our body. It hid everything and yet revealed too. She had left her hair open and it covered her back. He changed his gaze and remembered how Diya looked on their engagement day. He saw her in a saree for the first time then. She was looking so fascinating, beautiful and sexy. He again looked up at Amaya and felt nothing like he'd felt for Diya.

"Umm actually.. " Amaya turned her head back as she heard Rishaan say something. "I forgot to inform you that we also have Lakshmi puja in our office. As people also have to do it at their home in the evening, we decided to do this puja in the morning." He was embarrassed to inform her late.

"I know." Amaya replied him with a smile. "I got Amrita Ma's call last night." She added and he looked up at her, feeling a little relieved.

"Okay." Rishaan said, turned around and left to get ready for the puja.

After one and a half hour, Rishaan stepped out of his room, wearing a simple white shirt and dark blue jeans. He walked towards stairs and stopped dead in his tracks on the top of the stairs in awe. On the corners of stairs, on both sides skipping one stair diyas [a small cup-shaped oil lamp made of baked clay] were lit. He looked down, still standing there, and Ansh and Disha's laughing sounds echoed in his ears. They were running here and there, chasing after each other. Disha was dressed in a pink lehenga. She was looking like a real princess. Ansh was dressed in a maroon coloured sherwani. He too looked like a little prince. Rishaan was smiling, standing there. Just then his eyes landed on Amaya who was making rangoli with some flower petals right in front of the main door. As he walked down, he saw the whole house decorated with diyas. In these last three years, he never celebrated Diwali like this. He used to do only Lakshmi puja at his office. Nothing more.