Chapter Three- The Dementor

Wordcount: 1430

Back in school, Remus Lupin used to fall asleep in the most curious places. Whether it was in the library, on top of homework at the table in the Gryffindor common room, on a moving staircase, at the long table in the Great Hall, in the middle of a corridor or somewhere on the grounds, sometimes he was just knocked out dead, usually the week after the full moon. But every time he would wake up either in his own bed, or the comfortable armchair in front of the fire in the common room, carefully tucked under an astounding amount of blankets. He knew it was always either Sirius Black or James Potter carrying him around the castle because those two never stopped worrying about him.

This time, however, he woke up to the memory of Albus Dumbledore, telling him that Voldemort had successfully killed the Potters, and how it was his downfall. The memory faded and was quickly replaced by the horrible sound of an explosion, and people screaming. Remus had come to prevent whatever Peter Pettigrew was going to do to Sirius, but he was too late. They wouldn't let him through as they arrested the black-haired man, laughing like mad after he murdered twelve innocent bystanders. That was the last time he had seen him, except for his trial in court.

Remus opened his eyes but all he saw was darkness. It was freezing cold. The dizziness of his sleep had slowed his mind down, only now he realised there must be Dementors nearby. He could swear they were searching the train for Sirius Black. It seemed logical that he would be here, there was no one but students usually, so not really anyone capable of protecting them if necessary. Now Remus understood why Dumbledore made him take the train.

Students were talking in his compartment in panicked voices. "I'm going to go and ask the driver what's going on," came a girl's voice in the darkness. Remus heard shuffling, the sound of the door sliding open, then a thud and two loud squeals of pain.

"Who's that?"

"Who's that?"

"Ginny?"

"Hermione?"

"What are you doing?"

"I was looking for Ron --" "Come in and sit down --"

"Not here!" said a scarily familiar voice hurriedly. "I'm here!"

"Ouch!" said another boy. Remus got out his wand.

"Quiet!" his voice silenced the anxious chatter, he heard all of them turn in his direction.

He tapped on his palm with his wand, then there was a soft, crackling noise, and a shivering light filled the compartment. Remus appeared to be holding a handful of flames. They illuminated his tired, grey face, but his eyes looked alert and wary. And they stared right at James. But something was off with his face... the expression was much softer, and the boy's eyes... were those... Lily's eyes? 

Remus blinked twice, recognising the student in front of him as Harry Potter. His heart wrenched in his chest, almost taking his breath away. He averted this eyes so he could focus on the situation at hand.

"Stay where you are," he said in the same hoarse voice as before, and he got slowly to his feet with his handful of fire held out in front of him.

But the door slid slowly open before Remus could reach it. Standing in the doorway, illuminated by the shivering flames in Remus' hand, was a cloaked figure that towered to the ceiling. He identified it immediately as one of the Dementors of Azkaban. Its face was completely hidden beneath its hood. There was a hand protruding from the cloak and it was glistening, greyish, slimy-looking, and scabbed, like something dead that had decayed in water... But it was visible only for a split second. As though the creature beneath the cloak sensed their gazes, the hand was suddenly withdrawn into the folds of its black cloak.