Chapter Twelve- The Official Report

Wordcount: 3171

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. The students were all happily discussing their plans for the holidays. It was not a rare situation to shush students loudly during class, stealing every last nerve of the teachers. They complained loudly about it in the staff room. Apparently year one to three was acting too childish, four and five too much like hormonal teenagers. The years above too mature for their age. Everyone only wanted holidays.

Professor Remus Lupin, teacher for Defense against the Dark Arts, most sat back and listened. In his class, no one acted particularly strange or upsetting. Truth be told, they were making excellent progress.

To everyone's delight, there was a Hogsmeade visit set for the very last weekend of term, causing the mood to lighten immensely.

Remus had promised Minerva McGonagall to accompany them to the village. It was only the second day of the week leading up to full moon, so he would be more than fine to go, he figured. Actually, he had started to look forward to it quite a bit; he imagined it was going to be a rather pleasant end to the first half of the school year.

But little did he know that luck was, again, not with him. Friday night, Remus found himself being barely able to sleep. For hours and hours, he had sat on the windowsill, staring into the night sky, but no sense of tiredness came upon him.

"My apologies, Minerva, I would have loved to go," Remus smiled sadly at the teacher Saturday afternoon, leaning against the doorframe. He faked it to look more or less casual, not as if he was too tired to stand properly. "Unfortunately, I do not feel as good as I could. My presence would only dull the mood."

It took some strength to get Professor McGonagall to leave, but in the end, she told him to get well soon and see Madam Pomfrey if necessary and then went to meet Filius in the Great Hall.

Remus walked back into his office and pondered. He really wanted to get outside the castle. But if he met the others teachers now they would think he had lied to avoid going with them, which he surely hadn't. He just wanted to spare them his company.

Sighing, he walked to his closet and opened it. At the very back was grey, shabby cloak he never wore. He changed into that, pulled it over his head and left his office. The Map would have come in handy in that situation. Which secret passage could he use? He wasn't too fond of going back into the Shrieking Shack, but he couldn't use the one ending right underneath Honeydukes, he looked too suspicious for that. But then again, what did it matter.

Half an hour later, he was making his way through chattering students, trying to keep his head down until he was outside the crowded sweet store. Where could he easily stay hidden but still get all the news? The three broomsticks. So Remus carefully made his way through the village, avoiding everyone as much as possible.

--------BY ORDER OF -------- 
THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC 
Customers are reminded that until further notice, dementors will be patrolling the streets of Hogsmeade every night after sundown. This measure has been put in place for the safety of Hogsmeade residents and will be lifted upon the recapture of Sirius Black. It is therefore advisable that you complete your shopping well before nightfall.
Merry Christmas!

That was written on every door and every street light. Remus shook his head. They'd never have a chance against him.

Inside the pub, the professor settled for the most distant corner. He saw a few familiar faces, but kept his hood up at all times. The Barkeeper, Madam Rosmerta, brought him the Firewisky he asked for and left him alone. Remus remembered all those time Sirius flirted with her senselessly, to the great amusement of the others.