Chapter Eleven- The Lesson

Wordcount: 1520

As time passed, the students of Hogwarts went back to normal again. The attack was spoken about less and less, the sightings in the Daily Prophet became rare, the addional security measures weren't noticed as blatantly anymore. Everyone was buzzing with excitement for the upcoming Quidditch match Gryffindor against Slytherin. Last minute it was announced they would be playing Hufflepuff instead. Everything was looking good for Gryffindor before the Dementors attacked their seeker, Harry Potter, knocking him off the broom, getting him in the hospital wing for the rest of the weekend.

Remus Lupin hadn't been around to see all of that, to his great dislike. If it wasn't for his poor health situation, he would have loved to watch Harry on the Quidditch pitch, he was said to be equal to James, his father, if not better.

However, as soon as Remus had the strength to stand upright for more than a few seconds, he started teaching again. His first class that Monday were Hufflepuff sixth years. When the bell rang and he dismissed the class, he reached for a parchment on his desk to check which class he would have next, when loads of relieved yells greeted him already.

"Professor Lupin! You're back!" Dean Thomas shouted as soon as he opened the door. Remus smiled weakly. He knew, it certainly looked as though he had been ill. His old robes were hanging more loosely on him and there were dark shadows beneath his eyes; nevertheless, he waved at the class as they took their seats one after another.

"If Snape's teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts again, I'm skiving off," Ron Weasley's voice was to be heard from outside the door. "Check who's in there, Hermione." Remus saw Hermione peer around the corner.

"It's okay!" she smiled. She, Ron and Harry entered followed by three girls. Now the entire class was present.

Remus started to welcome them to the lesson, but they didn't give him time to finish his sentence. All of them burst at once into an explosion of complaints about Snape's behaviour while Lupin had been ill.

"It's not fair, he was only filling in, why should he give us homework?"

"We don't know anything about werewolves!"

"Two rolls of parchment!"

"Did you tell Professor Snape we haven't covered them yet?" Lupin asked, frowning slightly. How dare he? Was this still about the boggart or was Severus just being the unreasonable childish fool he thought he was? Did he realize how much he was risking here? Remus couldn't believe it. Intense anger arose in his chest. The babble broke out again.

"Yes, but he said we were really behind he wouldn't listen--"

"-- two rolls of parchment!"

Professor Lupin smiled at the look of indignation on every face. "Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay." 'The less they research about werewolves, the better,' Remus thought to himself, 'It is obvious enough I fall ill every month.'

"Oh no," said Hermione, looking very disappointed. "I've already finished it!"

After that, they had a very enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin had brought along a glass box containing a hinkypunk, a little one-legged creature who looked as though he were made of wisps of smoke, rather frail and harmless looking.

"Lures travellers into bogs," said Professor Lupin as they took notes. "You notice the lantern dangling from his hand? Hops ahead - people follow the light -- then --" The hinkypunk made a horrible squelching noise against the glass. 

When the bell rang, everyone gathered up their things and headed for the door, Harry among them, but --

"Wait a moment, Harry," Remus called. "I'd like a word." Harry doubled back and watched Professor Lupin covering the hinkypunk's box with a cloth. "I heard about the match," he said, turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "and I'm sorry about your broomstick. Is there any chance of fixing it?"