Chapter Seven: [Levee]

I grumble to myself, snapping clothes back on the rack. I'm currently standing at my closet in my underwear, trying to figure out what to wear in time for school. Everything feels just slightly too much. The dress is too showy, the jeans are too big. The skirt's too girly, the shorts are too masculine. Everything I put on makes me feel stiff and fake.

Brook raps on my bedroom door, making me jump, and yells out that we're going to be late. I call out that I'll be there in a minute, even though I'm ninety percent sure I will not.

Knowing this, he barges inside, slamming the door shut behind him. "Shut up," I hiss. "You're going to wake her up."

He just rolls his eyes and folds his arms over his chest. "What are you doing?" I feel too embarrassed to tell him I don't know what to wear, so I just shrug lamely. He shakes his head and steps up to my closet, looking through my clothes.

"I can dress myself-"

"Shut up, Levee."

He pulls out a purple tank top and black jeans, tossing them at me. "There. Put that on and meet me outside."

He leaves before I have the chance to say anything. I look down at the clothing he handed me and sigh, pulling it on. Looking in the mirror, it's not bad. It's fine.

After grabbing my backpack and phone, I meet Brook outside and we start to walk. "You're so weird," he mutters. "They're just clothes. And don't tell me it's your gender-thing. It's literally just clothes."

"It's how I present myself," I correct quietly. He rolls his eyes. "You don't care about what you look like to other people?"

"I don't care about other people."

"So if a guy walked up to you and thought you were a girl, you wouldn't care?" I ask.

He shrugs. "How long am I gonna know this guy?"

I shake my head. "It's not that easy."

Brook glares. "No, it is that easy. You shouldn't care what people think about you."

"What about me?" I look away. "What about I think about me?"

He gives me a look. "It's not an internal thing. They're just fuckin' clothes, Levee."

I shove my hands in my pocket and walk silently. In some ways, he's right. But he's missing the point.

When we get to school, we immediately part ways. Brook's friends are waiting for him in the courtyard, probably eager to harass more freshmen, and I know Violet's planning on meeting me at my locker after she goes to hers. That in mind, I weave through the crowded hallways with my head ducked down.

Violet smiles as she comes up to me. "Hey."

I slam my locker shut. "Hey. Uh, ready?"

She raises an eyebrow. "You're in a rush. Hate to break it to you, but I don't have your first period."

My face flushes red. "That's not what I meant. Uh- I dunno."

She gives me a sceptical look. I look over my shoulder, where the soul mates stand, leaning their heads together and talking quietly. They have their palms pressed together with their fingers tangled, the boy's snow-white skin a great contrast to the girl's deep olive.

Violet nudges me. "Talk to them."

My eyes widen. "What? No!"

"Levee," she deadpans.

"I- No." I lower my voice. "I can't."

"It doesn't have to be about the soul mate thing. Look at them." She nods in their direction. "Nobody else is talking to them. Don't you think they're lonely?"