Chapter Five: [Levee]

This one is a little shorter! Don't forget to vote and comment what you think <3

_

The next day at school, the halls are buzzing with excited conversation. The tingling on my wrists and very subtle marks remain, so I almost don't even notice.

"Damn," Violet grumbles. "People won't shut up today."

"...I can't believe..."

"...How could they do that?"

"...It'll never work..."

"Idiots."

I look at Violet, furrowing my eyebrows. "What are they talking about?"

She shrugs. "Hell if I know."

We turn a corner and I don't think Violet notices, but amid all the clusters of whispering and laughing are a boy and a girl. They're the first thing my eye catches; Standing by the lockers, talking and smiling. The boy, tall with bleach blond hair, has the hood of his black hoodie up, holding his books close to his chest. He listens carefully with a small smile. The girl, dressed in a lavender sundress, tucks a lock of her long brown hair behind her ear as she talks with a large smile eating up her face.

I let out a yelp as I crash to the ground, throwing my arms out to break my fall. A shuddering ache spreads through my hands and wrists as I push myself to my knees.

"Levee!" I can tell Violet's trying not to laugh as she kneels down, helping me sit up. "Are- Are you okay?"

I scowl. "You can laugh. I know it was funny."

Small giggles erupt from her lips. She quickly covers her mouth. "Sorry- You just kinda tripped over nothing."

"I was distracted," I grumble. I look up at the couple; They're both looking at me, their faces pink. The boy quickly looks away and the girl offers me a smile. "Come on." I quickly stand up, brushing myself down. "Let's go."

"God, I thought they were going to talk to them for a second."

"So glad they walked away. That would have been so embarrassing."

"Not as embarrassing as that fall."

"What's everyone talking about?" I ask again, looking around. "Who's that couple?"

The bell goes off before Violet has the chance to answer me. She sighs. "I'll see you second period. Maybe we'll know by then."

She slips away, swallowed up by the crowd. I adjust my backpack on my shoulder and duck my head as I make my way to my class. For once, I don't feel like everyone's staring at me. In fact, it seems like they couldn't care less. Every conversation is filled with words of 'that couple' and 'idiots.'

I finally catch a phrase that catches me off guard- 'Soul mates.' I'm just sitting down at my desk when I hear it, from all the way across the classroom. I immediately latch onto the conversation the guy's having, straining my ears.

"It just isn't possible," he says.

"I bet their lying," a girl replies, quirking an eyebrow. "14% success rate. That's an 86% chance that they'd fail."

"Wow, Courtney can count?" A brunet says, his eyes wide.

I look away as the first guy laughs and Courtney hits him, looking down to my notebook. So they're soul mates. Or, supposedly soul mates. I remember seeing them in the halls, the smiling, the conversations, the way they leaned into each other- Everyone was talking around them, shunning them, and they didn't care. They just... Ignored it.