Chapter Thirteen: [Levee]

Tw: Blood, gore, self harm, suicide attempt

Summary of chapter in the author's note at the end of the chapter

Before school on Monday, I wake up early.

I put extra thought into what I pull out of my closet, into what I'm feeling. I pull out things that don't really go together, but for whatever reason, I like the way they come together. Tights I've had for a few years now, and denim shorts Brook bought for me. A gray polo shirt, black hightops, and a hoodie I stole from my dad's suitcase.

I run my brush through my hair, watching in the mirror as it creates long, thick waves. I paint thin black lines on my eyelids, and run chapstick over my lips. I finish with a spray of cologne.

Brook raps on the bathroom door, snapping me out of my reverie. He pushes open the door, faltering as he takes in my appearance.

"Alright," he says, nudging me over so he can take up room at the sink. "Are you almost done? We need to go soon."

I tuck a lock of hair behind my ear. "Yeah, I'm ready."

He shuts the medicine cabinet with his toothbrush in his hand. "Are you wearing my cologne?"

I blink. "Yes."

He just shakes his head. "Alright."

When we get to school, we immediately part ways. I take off towards my locker, where I know Violet will be waiting.

When she sees me, her eyes noticeably wrack my appearance. Her gaze snaps back to mine and her lips pull up to a smile.

"New look?" She asks.

Blushing, I push my hair behind my ear. "Sorta."

She bumps her hip against mine. "It looks good." I grab my stuff from my locker and follow her down the halls. "I'll see you during second?"

I nod. "Yeah."

She ducks into her classroom with a quick wave. I feel myself catch people's gaze as I head towards my own class, but something about it feels different. They're the same people, they're the same expressions, they're the same remarks, and it still sticks to me, but I find myself raising my chin.

A little smile curls onto my lips. They think I look weird, which, surprisingly, is exactly what I wanted.

-_-_-

By second period, I'm in an uncharacteristically good mood. I sit in the seat next to Violet, not bothering to hide my smile.

She looks at me curiously. "You look brighter," she announces.

I look at her with a laugh. "I'm wearing black and gray."

"Not your clothes, idiot." She rolls her eyes. "You. You're smiling."

"Do I not smile that often?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "No."

"Well," I look down at my notebook, "I'm just in a good mood."

Mr. Kendell comes in a moment later and starts the lesson. Violet and I sit silently, scribbling vigourous notes.

The first half of class flies by before my arm starts to tingle. My stomach flurries with butterflies and the smile returns to my face. I drop my pencil and roll up my sleeve, ignoring people as they look at me strangely.

A red dot, seemingly done in a Bic pen, appears on my wrist. Another dot, half an inch below it, and another, another, another. Nothing like he's ever drawn before. The tingling along my forearm turns into electricity, pulsing, raging electricity, and for a moment, it feels incredible.