Chapter Fifteen: [Levee]

I ended up catching a bus to Indiana with what little savings I had, getting off as close to Olive's hospital as I could manage and walking the rest of the way. By the time I finally get there, visiting hours is almost over, but I still have an hour.

I get into the room as Olive sits in bed, watching the door in anticipation. When he sees me, a big, goofy smile spreads across his lips.

I step forward, dropping my wallet and phone on the bedside table, and wrap my arms tightly around him.

"Back so soon," he murmurs, running two fingers down my arm.

I pull away, sitting at the edge of his bed. "Olive-"

"Please don't." He smiles sadly. "I get it. I promise. You don't have to go over it, Micah and Violet already did."

"Micah and Violet aren't your girlfriend," I say quietly. He hesitates, before slowly nodding. "I wouldn't make it through it if you had succeeded. And I know that's incredibly selfish, but I'm not sorry. I can't lose you. What can I do to make you happy?"

Olive's smile slowly fades. He leans forward and gives me a lingering kiss, before resting his forehead against my shoulder. It takes a while for him to answer.

"I wouldn't be with you if you didn't already make me happy."

He pulls away and his eyes catch the wilting carnation taped to my forearm. He smiles. "You still have it." He runs a finger over the slick tape.

"I didn't want to lose it," I say sheepishly. "But I wanted to bring it. Oh- And I brought this." I pull out a black Sharpie and take his scarred arm; They took off the bandages, now, all the cuts closed up, but the scars are clear and visible. I furrow my eyebrows and concentrate hard as I draw the petals, the stem, the big leaf; A flower to hide his scars.

Olive gives me a watery smile, pulling me into his arms. I curl up next to him, resting my head on his shoulder. He rests his head against mine.

"You realize you don't need your parents money, right?" I ask quietly.

He looks at me in confusion. "What?"

I shrug. "I used my own savings just to get here." Before he has time to get guilty, I continue. "The only time I ever use Aunt Rue's money is when I have to. And, yeah, your parents are rich, but that doesn't make it different. You can save up your own money. You can go to whatever college you want and pay for it yourself. Plenty of people do it."

I can tell the idea had genuinely never crossed his mind before. He nods slowly. "I can do that."

I kiss him. "You can." I look down at his legs, covered by the blankets. "You'll stop now, right?"

It seems like a lot is being put on him, the gears turning in his head, but he nods again. "Yes."

I settle myself in his lap, placing my hands on the sides of his face and kissing him softly. "You should sleep," I whisper.

"I can sleep later." He smiles, running his fingers through my hair. "You won't be here forever."

I kiss him slowly, gently moving my lips against his. He runs his hand down my side, sending shivers along my back. My legs wrap around his waist and he weaves his fingers through my hair, tugging. My mouth drops open as I push closer to him, rubbing my hips against his.

After at least another half hour of kissing and touching like this, a doctor comes in to inform us visiting hours are over. I rest my forehead against Olive's, closing my eyes.

"I'll see you again soon?" Olive whispers, and I nod.

"I'll text you when I get home," I say as I grab my wallet and phone, my hand on the door handle. "And we can Skype tomorrow, when you're home."

Olive smiles at me, and, I'm not sure, but I think I see a flicker of light somewhere in his eyes.

__

Alright everyone, sorry for the late update! If you follow me on Tumblr, you probably saw the post about me being on a road trip, which is why I couldn't post on time.

I have another story almost completely finished and edited that I'll be posting sometime within the month! It's called Death With Dignity, and it's a short story. I think you guys will really like it- The main character, Casper, is so sweet and awkward and cute and his relationship with Jade is something I'm really proud of. So be sure to follow me to get notified when I post that!

Anyway, here's your epilogue!!!

<3 Max