CHAPTER 22

One more week passed, and my anxiety kept on increasing. I kept delaying the proposal fearing she might reject me. Honestly, I wasn't worried of the rejection but I am worried that our friendship might get strained. With the rejection, I fear our friendship might not be the same again. I don't want cracks in this pure bond. Honestly, if Elham walks out of my life too, I will have no one. I have lost Racheal and I don't want to loose Elham too.

But one night, I mustered all my courage. Deciding to take the plunge. For some reason, I didn't want to delay. I can't keep things bottled up anymore. I want to keep confessing my love to her every time, without fearing anything. I always had held myself back from saying those three words especially during our love making sessions, but now I don't want to. I don't want to accidently confess it. I don't want my confession to be slip of the tongue. I want it to be special.

'Where are you taking me?' Elham says as I covered her eyes with my palms and led her towards the study table. My heart is racing with nervousness, my mind clogged with various thoughts mostly negative ones.

She looks confused at the laptop's blank screen, my fingers trembled as I switched it on and clicked on the play button.

The video begins to play full screen. I held my breath.

There are pictures of us as toddlers, me frowning and Elham hitting me as we sit side by side on a chair. Next pic I am crying and Elham laughing. Next pic she is kicking me and I am falling.

Followed by a video of us practicing cycling, then a picture of Elham showing her broken tooth proudly while I am crying holding my cheek in the background.

A soft tune playing in the background. From corner of my eye I see Elham's eyes are already moist. She is smiling through her tears.

My heart beat increases as the movie reach its ending.

The final slide is a photo of us as teens, the time we were parting. Elham is now in puddle of tears, the movie emotionally touched her. And I am glad it had the effect I had planned it to have.

Now the moment of truth is near, after the slide ends then starts the note I had written for her confessing my love. I kept my fingers crossed behind my back. The screen goes black and then slide appears having hearts all over in the background, then the words begin to appear. I had taken two days writing this down, adding, and subtracting lines. I bit my lower lip, too scared to look at Elham or the screen so I looked down at my feet.

Elham Siddiqui,

You and I had been best friends since forever, even before we stepped into this world. Bond, we share can't be put in words, it's beyond words. Even years being apart, our friendship only strengthened. We were even better than couple being in long-distance relationship.

No matter where we are you have always been there with me, standing beside me like a pillar, protecting me.

I am really blessed to have you as my friend, you are a gem of a friend. I don't know what I can do without you.

You are Jhalli, completely wild but very cute and you have a very innocent and pure soul. I really enjoy your company, who wouldn't.

Being with you I forget everything else, all my insecurities and worries going puff in air like it never existed.

I never thought I will fall in love, but I did. Racheal came into my life like breath of fresh air, things were really rosy and glossy around me. I remember troubling you, asking your advice to impress Racheal and you being the sweetheart that you are helped me out, bearing all my Fatto-pana. I was a kid lost in the forest with you being my guiding light.