32

"You called, Your Ruthlessness?" Soleil peeked her head into the throne room, where Devondria and her advisors stood in intense conversation. The queen broke away from the group when she heard Soleil's voice.

"Flame-Spinner, come," she said, waving Soleil closer. Soleil dropped into a low curtsy, but Devondria tsked impatiently. "No time for that, we have serious business to discuss. Our soldiers are dropping like flies."

Soleil paused a moment to process this information. Their soldiers? Their strong, young, devoted soldiers? She looked at one of the advisors. "What is the cause of death?"

He smiled painfully and shook his head. They had discussed this before. "We've no idea. One day they are fine and the next they are cold and unmoving."

"Then it's murder," Soleil stated simply. There seemed no better explanation. And, if it was murder, that meant the killer could be found and disposed of and they could continue preparing to fight -- and win -- the war against Ombra.

The advisors shook their heads again. They had discussed this as well. "But by whom is the question. There was one suspect the first night, but now the deaths appear to be completely random," one of them said, and Devondria nodded in agreement.

"It doesn't seem to be so simple." She fiddled with the heavy rings on her fingers. "There is, however, one coincidence that cannot go overlooked," she said, her eyes meeting Soleil's. "This all began after you brought that boy here." She spat out the words, her tone suddenly accusatory.

Shocked by Her Ruthlessness's irritated attitude toward her, Soleil stammered, "Well, w-what do you want me to do?"

Devondria smiled wickedly, her advisors shrinking away. "Go to him and get to the bottom of this." The queen stepped closer, and Soleil inhaled the overwhelming fragrance of old, rotting flowers. "Do not be gentle, understand? Have no mercy. I will not allow your emotions to jeopardize this kingdom, Flame-Spinner. You better keep that in mind from now on. Now go!"

Soleil stumbled out of the throne room, tears stinging her eyes. Devondria had never spoken to her like that. Devondria loved Soleil, so why would she treat her so?

"She's just frustrated," Soleil whispered to herself as she headed for the dungeons. "Preparing a kingdom for war is stressful, that's all."

As Soleil trudged into the dark, dank underbelly of Argenta Castle, she only wished that she sounded more convincing.