38

Farid's eyes opened on silver. The tile on which he lay was frigid and bathed in a milky glow. An image of the dungeons lingered the back of his mind, the feel of heat and moisture on his skin, the hiss of a familiar voice. Then, as a dream, the thoughts became muddied and faded, and Farid aimed his attention at his current position.

It took a moment for Farid to recognize his surroundings, but the room swam into clearer and clearer focus until he realized he was back in the tower: there was the already half-empty bowl of water, the already half-full bucket, the threadbare rug, and, above him, the broad window through which moonlight was streaming generously.

Moonlight? he thought. Is it already nighttime?

How could night have already fallen when the trial had just taken place moments ago? When Farid tried to picture what he had been doing since Soleil dragged him out of the throne room, abandoning him into the trust of one of her men so she could attend to her shaken queen, he could see nothing past her hurrying away from him. No recollection whatsoever remained of that afternoon.

Why, he asked himself, and how did I lose myself until now?

He had a hunch the answer was of the same origin of all his current troubles: "Soleil."