Please let's this be a joke

Alfred felt the anger grow as he looks at Francis who was just quiet and accepted his fate. He remembers how scared Arthur had been as he pulled the trigger and shooting Francis in the stomach, he smiled as Francis body hit the ground knowing he couldn't hurt Arthur anymore.

Matthew tried to call Francis again, though it went to voicemail. "Papa? Papa, are you there...? Please, say something..."

Arthur's voice could be heard through it. "Francis, are you all right? I-I'm sorry I left...I didn't wish to upset you... Francis?" His tone sounded...afraid...Worried... panicked. Matthew spoke again. "Papa, please pick up!"

Alfred sighed as he picks up Francis phone destroying it with his feet before sitting down waiting slowly on Francis to die as he picks up his phone and called Matthew.

The line went dead before Al called. Matthew frantically picked up. "Al? Al, what's going on? Where's Papa? Did you-" He gasped and covered his mouth.

Arthur grabbed the phone and started talking. "Alfred F. Jones, you give me some answers right now, Where is Francis? Where are YOU?"

Alfred sighed. "I did my job that's what, Francis won't hurt you anymore Arthur, He is dying I shot him to keep you, SAFE Arthur,"

Francis tries to mumble something to Arthur as Alfred glared at him.

Arthur's eyes widened in horror. "You...did...what...? No... No... Please...Please, that has to be a joke... PLEASE!" He was now clutching the phone carefully. "Don't...don't tell me this is real...don't tell me you just did that..."

"I don't joke about It Arthur I did it to make you safe like I always have, He didn't even try to stop me he just took it, if you want to talk to him then fine I let you but this is the last time you will hear his voice," Alfred said moving the phone away and to Francis ears.

"Francis...? Francis, are you there?" Matthew crawled over, and weakly added, "Papa, I'm here... Papa, speak to us, please..." They were both crying at this point.

Francis smiled a bit as he heard their voice. "I-I'm still h-here, M-Matthew I-I love you I-I'm sorry for l-leaving you as a k-kid and f-for killing y-you."

Matthew was sobbing as he spoke. "Papa, please don't leave us...we love you..." 

Arthur held the phone like a new-born. "Francis, listen to me... You know I care about you and DAMMIT I won't let you die. You better not, you hear me?!"

Francis let out a small chuckled. "I-I'm sorry Arthur b-but I can't s-stop myself f-from dying b-but I b-be back I-I'm a nation, I h-held m-my p-promise l-like I-I said, I-I love you mon am-" He said as he closes his eyes and went quiet.

Alfred took the phone. "He is dead."

Arthur gasped and dropped the phone on the couch. "No... No please...He... FRANCIS, YOU CAN'T! THIS ISN'T FUNNY! PLEASE!" When no response came, Arthur let his hands drop and let himself just...cry... Matthew clung to Arthur, now sobbing.