Chapter 22: Letters?!

The three of them got so tensed as the light began to get nearer. The three of them hurriedly pressed their backs against the wall in an attempt to not get caught.

"Noooo!" The guard suddenly shouted as he ran away from them. "I won't do this job anymore! These underground tunnels are scary!" He exclaimed.

The three of them heaved a deep sigh of relief as the guard disappeared from the view. 

"Now, that reminds me of something." Joshua said. "That electronic lock on the other side of these tunnels has some pretty high security, right? How come the guards got here?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you that as well. There's another trapdoor except the one where we just got in and the one where we're going right now. Apparently, it leads to where the guards live so it's not a pretty good idea to pass that way. We will most likely find ourselves trapped the moment we get in there."

"Now, I can clearly understand why you didn't bother telling us that before. But next time, inform us in advance." Joshua told her.

"Sure, but I forget a lot of things not related to computer so don't expect me to not forget reminding you anything." Emma answered.

"Oh, we understand. But you know, I could give you full points on that scream just a moment ago. It totally scared that guard to death. If I were in his shoes, I might have done the same though. But anyways, nice tactics!" Rick complimented her.

"Enough with that, we need to go as fast as we can. Another guard might come patrolling the area, you know" Emma changed the subject.

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go!"

.....

Click!

"We're in!" Joshua whispered as he looked around. To his relief, there was no security to be seen in the house.

Joshua got out as fast as he could and opened the trapdoor for Rick and Emma. Just as they did before, they found themselves once again inside the Quillers' house.

"You know, thinking about it, going inside this house would be the last thing I'll ever do. But now that we don't have any choice, I guess I should just bite my lip and get on with the sleuthing, right?" Rick confirmed as he remembered his experiences when he first visited the house.

"If you're thinking of what had happened before, Joshua experienced it way worse than you did." Emma responded.

"Yeah, you're right."

"Wait, guys, do you hear that?" Joshua suddenly asked them.

Rick and Emma stopped talking as soon as Joshua got their attention. After straining their ears to listen, they heard the sound that they had feared the most.

It was raining heavily outside.

Before they knew it, the large door in the living room suddenly slammed open and more than a dozen guards entered the  house. Joshua, Rick, and Emma immediately dashed towards Gladiola's room in fear of being found by the guards. 

Upon reaching the room, Joshua absent-mindedly pressed his finger towards the lock and opened it. Emma looked in disbelief as Joshua opened it without second thoughts.

Not noticing that there's a door's alarm set up just on top of the door!

Before they were able to notice it, the alarm went off. The security, after hearing it, immediately rushed towards the room. Meanwhile, Joshua, Rick, and Emma went inside the room without a moment's hesitation. After double checking if they closed the door and after hearing the footsteps of the guards coming up the flight of steps, the three of them wen under the bed to check the trapdoor that their uncle had told them about.