3. James' shock

James Potter had been awoken abruptly that morning from a deep sleep with hazy dreams. Being woken so early had angered him, and he had stormed out of his room angrily to shout at his wretched siblings. He had not had a good night's sleep, and was in a terrible mood; his head felt sluggish and his head felt like it had been hit by a bludger! Sometime earlier, he could have sworn he had heard an owl's hoot and the familiar flap of his wings. He had shaken his head to clear the sleepy mist and convinced himself he must have been hallucinating, he missed Hogwarts so much that he was imagining things now! It was Lily's annoying cries of “AL, Al!" that must have woken him up. She had sounded so eager and happy. "Why does Lily always have to suck up to Albus like that?" he had thought angrily. "Merlin! I wish they would just shut up!" Cursing, he had rolled over and tried to ignore it, but when he had heard Lily's excited squeal - 'Look what I found in the mail!' - Curiosity had got the better of him. He bolted down the stairs and peered into the kitchen. At first James had wondered what all the fuss was about, until he had noticed the broken red wax seal - the thick, embossed letter 'H' – the symbol of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!