chapter 1

Shadow was lethal. He never missed. He only ever needed one shot to take out his target, as only one arrow was ever found in the corpses. People feared him like death itself as the stories about him were too terrifying. Some said he was a ghost who killed those who had committed atrocities. Some speculated that he was just another paid assassin and was nothing to be afraid of unless one was involved in shady businesses. Others came up with more far-fetched theories, such as Shadow being a demon and that signing a pact with him involved much more than just blood. All these stemmed from his seemingly inhumane aim as people had difficulty believing that he only ever used one arrow to kill. And that was also exactly why the general Asami Ryuichi wanted him in his army so badly.

Capturing Shadow wasn't as easy as turning on a lamp, but Asami did have his own intel, and he knew that he was a human being, at the very least. Kirishima Kei, his loyal advisor had told him that witnesses swore that Shadow was a real person, as they had seen him bleed. All he needed now was to attract the elusive archer to him...

At the moment, the general and his army were stopping over at a small city to rest. They still had a couple territories to claim and authority to assert, but the soldiers needed a rest and thus they had set up camp in the little town. Asami was staying in a hotel much smaller than he was used to, but it was already the biggest in the region, and he would settle for no less, unlike his soldiers. Many of them were enjoying themselves at cheap brothels and even tinier hotels.

Kirishima rapped softly on the mahogany door of his boss' temporary office.

"Enter."

Kirishima did as told, opening the door slowly. The man was really exhausted from all his gathering of information. Asami internally sighed. That Shadow guy was really taking out the best of his men.

Kirishima was wearing normal clothes, for a high ranked soldier on a trip. Heavy dark clothes, hiking boots, a dark red cape and armor that wasn't too heavy as he wasn't participating in battle, only collecting intel for the general.

"Kirishima," the general acknowledged.

"Asami dono."

"Report."

Kirishima nodded and despite his evident fatigue, his lord could spot a glint of excitement in his eyes.

"My sources say that Shadow is nearby."

"And?" Asami leaned forward in his chair, interest piqued.

"It seems he attacked a small castle two days ago near where we are."

Asami nodded, signalling for his advisor to continue.

"The witnesses were reluctant at first, and didn't want to talk. But Suoh made them sing." Kirishima smirked. He hardly did, and that must have meant he had found out something worth noting. Asami's interest increased tenfold. "It seems Shadow found out that the king of the castle was extorting money via taxes from his vassals and even enslaving orphan kids."

"Heroism," Asami commented, leaning slightly back. Perhaps this would give them more of an insight towards Shadow's motives.

"It seems so, sir. He didn't kill everyone, only the lord and his guards. He pointed an arrow at the lord's eldest son and made him tie up every noble inside the castle. It was humiliating."

"Anything else?"

"He released the slaves and left via carriage. He was in a hurry, apparently."

Asami raised an eyebrow. "No horse?"

"He may have owned one once... but he was spotted on foot two nights ago."

"What a shame. Every warrior needs a horse." Asami smirked and his advisor nodded knowingly. He could see where this was going.