Don't Make A Sound

"Derek. Derek wake up we gotta go." A faint voice woke me out of my sleep.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw Star looking down at me. I snapped out of my initial confusing and gave a drowsy nod to her. Aless was already outside, chatting with Hazel. I lazily got out of the bed and slipped my sneakers on. Xander walked out of the small bathroom with a smile.

"What's got you all cheery?" Asked Star.

"They have toothpaste here. Sure it's kinda old but it works." Xander answered with a grin showing off his no longer dirty teeth.

"Make sure to bring that then," I added while getting up to walk out the door, "I need it."

I exited the little cabin and joined Alessandra. Xander came out with Star and we started our journey back home.

As we were walking through the silent woods, Star pulled me to the side.

"So I saw you and Alessandra smooching. When did that become a thing?"

Shit. "Um... er.. Well ya see, it just happened. I didn't think it would but it did. Do I regret it? No. I'm kinda starting to like her. That kiss doesn't mean we're a couple though. Just don't mention this to the others, okay?" I replied calmly.

"Gotcha." Star started walking forward but stopped after a couple steps. "I thought you'd get with Hazel." She said with a smile and continued walking back to the group before I could respond.

I shook my head and caught up with them.

We arrived at Gunther and heard chanting coming from the inside. The gates opened up to reveal a large crowd circled around somebody. Xander quickly rushed to the scene and I followed.

"Traitor! You're a traitor!" The crowd chanted in synchronization.

Xander and I pushed through the swarm of people and found Mike with his hands tied behind his back on his knees.

"What's the meaning of this?" Xander asked one of the survivors part of the chorus.

Before she could say anything, John walked out with a walkie talkie in hand. He approached us.

"Mike was communicating with a group of attackers. They said that they had found the targets and were about to attack. Then I interrupted his little conversation and cut off communications." He explained.

Xander glances at Mike and asks, "Is this true?"

Mike looks up at him and a sinister smile spreads across his pale face. "You're a shitty leader. The people needed to see you were weak. They had to be shown what a true leader is like. So yeah, I conspired with some people at Machton while Derek was napping. We planned this all out. It sucks they couldn't kill you though."

Xander's hands balled into fists and he gritted his teeth. Hazel rushed to the scene with Alessandra and saw what was happening.

"Why? Why would you do this Mike?! We trusted you!" Xander walked up to him and punched him before he could speak.

His fists came raining down onto Mike's face, each blow alternating between his right and left hands. I watched in silence but couldn't turn away. Mike's white face was now red and his nose was broken. Xander continued beating him, taking out all the pent up anger he had on his former friend. Mike's face was bloody and almost unrecognizable.

The once loud crowd fell in silence and look scared. I decided it was enough and went to stop Xander before it got worse.

"Xander that's eno-" Xander violently pushed me away and I fell to the ground.