Violation Of Rights

(Hazel drawn by my good friend, Mary)

Derek

The next day went well. More survivors piled in and were each given their own rooms. I thought about the space on this ship and then remembered that it was basically a military cruiser. Xander and I helped show the newcomers around while the girls had some alone time. They said it was to "talk about whatever the fuck they want without being looked at weirdly by the guys."

I didn't mind them having privacy. Sometimes you forget that women still like to do female things during the apocalypse. After we finished helping some survivors around, Xander and I headed to our room and had a heartfelt discussion about life before all...this. We continued talking about political topics and some survival tactics.

After the girls finished their alone time, they met back up with me and Xander. I decided to take a walk by myself to think about everything that was going on. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and walked down the corridors with my head down.

That dream, I thought, It felt so real.

I did a lap around the main area and made my way back to my friends.

"Hey, Derek!" A voice called to me.

I looked left and saw a doctor fast walking towards me, his face filled with excitement.

"Uh do I know you?" I asked the man.

"I'm Doctor Marlon. I'm the one that saved your life." He said gleefully.

I gave him an unbelieving look and then he pulled out a sheet of paper. I grabbed it and saw a picture of green cells.

"What's this?"

"Its the cells from your body. I managed to extract them and stored them somewhere safe. They accelerated your healing process but also prevented the proper amount of blood flow to reach your brain, therefore being the cause of your unconsciousness."

"Is that all you had to tell me? You want a thank you or something?" I said smugly.

"No Derek. I should be thanking you." Marlon replied with a soft smile.

"Huh? Wait, why?"

"Those cells inside of you...They- they saved someone's life. When I scraped them out of your bloodstream, I tested it out on another patient who was in critical condition and they recovered as fast as you. I duplicated the green cells and turned them into a concoction. With the cells combined with iron, I created a replica of what those cells were made of and made what I believe is a cure." He explained thoroughly.