Thirty Four

Jordan didn’t sleep at all that night. He wanted to go find Steph, but he knew it was not a good idea for him to be anywhere near her. He knew she loved him, even though she was hurting, and that Nina’s message had almost jeopardized any kind of future they might have. He stayed in his bed, staring at the ceiling until the sun started to creep in under the blinds. 

Steph sat on a chair in one of Jon’s guestrooms, watching the sun rise over his large backyard. It was a perfect backyard for children…lots of green grass and sloping hills. She sighed, wondering what her life would have been like if Jordan had never deserted her. Would he still have gone on to release a solo album? Would they even still be together? She sighed. 

Jordan sat at the dining room table in their kitchen staring at the path the rising sun made on the floor. His hands encircled a mug of hot coffee, but he didn’t drink it. He almost forgot he had made it. He couldn’t believe all that had happened in the last twenty-four hours.

When he had run into Nina at that party in Los Angeles, he had been happily surprised. Their last breakup had not been pretty, and he was afraid that any time he met her, she’d want to slap his face. Instead they had a decent conversation, and ended up leaving the party to have a late night breakfast in a twenty-four hour diner. She had wanted to go dancing after that, but he had told her that he had many things to do the next morning before returning to Boston. He knew she wanted more, but the evening ended with Jordan giving Nina a chaste kiss on the cheek. He could never cheat on Steph…he loved her way too much. The engagement ring he had picked out in Los Angeles had been burning a hole in his pocket the entire time he was in California…and now he might never get the chance to give it to her. He wanted to believe Jon when he said that nothing had happened, but the sight of Steph standing naked in Jon’s bathtub, not even caring who saw her, was enough to make him doubt so much in his life.
Steph wandered downstairs at around seven, unable to sit in her room for a minute longer. Jon was already in the kitchen making coffee. “Hey,” she said softly.

“Hey,” he said, smiling at her. She sat at the table and he poured them each a cup of coffee. He sat down across from her.

“Look…Jon…I am really sorry about jumping all over you last night. It was wrong to put you in that position and I’m sorry.”

He put his hand over hers. … ” Tears filled Steph’s hazel eyes and splashed down her cheeks. Jon walked around the table to kneel in front of her. He took her in his arms as she sobbed on his shoulder. “It’s okay,” he whispered. “You’ll work it out.”

“I don’t WANT to work it out with Jordan” she said savagely, pulling back to glare at him. “He’s a lying piece of shit and I hate him!”

Jon took her face in his hands, forcing her to look him in the eye. “You do NOT hate him, okay? You’re gonna listen to every word he has to say, do you hear me?” She attempted to nod. His thumbs caressed her cheeks. “You guys are so lucky to have each other,” he said in a quieter tone. “Go call him…call him now before you guys make the biggest mistake of your lives.”