Warrior Princess Ch. 10

I looked over at him. He fit good in my car. The trees flew past us and I sped up.

"So where are we going?" He asked still looking out of the window.

"Pudgy's" I smiled.

"What is Pudgy's?" he asked, unsure of himself.

I smiled again. "Just wait, we're almost there."

The trees started to thin and we could see the little brown wooden building. I pulled into the parking lot and turned the car off.

"So it's a barn?" He asked. I laughed and got out of the car, putting the keys in my bag. I straightened my dress and walked to the front of the car waiting for him. He took my hand and I walked us to the door.

"It's a milkshake theater. They do plays and skits and music on stage and you can get the best milkshake you have ever tasted." I said, "My parents used to take me here. Well my uh, pretend parents I guess. I don't know, but every time I was upset or something they would bring me here.

We walked into the door and it looked the same. The wooden floor was still faded and all the furniture was still old looking. The inside looked a little like a saloon in the old times. It was nearly empty with the exception of the man at the bar and an old lady sitting next to the stage watching a man do a comedy bit. We sat at the bar and the old man came up to us.

"Well Well, its been a while since I've seen you in here." He laughed. "Chocolate milkshake with strawberry in the middle?" He asked while getting out a chilled glass from a cooler in front of him.

"Of course. I'm sorry I don't remember your name." I said to him.

"Melvin, my dear. And for the young man. What can I get you?"

Heath looked at me then to the man. "Well, I uh. What do you think?"

The man laughed and shook his head.

"Okay, I will just get the most popular drink here."

We sat and watched the bit for a while, not speaking. Melvin brought us my milkshake and set Heaths drink in front of him.

"It's a cherry soda float with chocolate icecream." He wiped the counter and walked away.

"Well here goes nothing." Heath sighed and he took a bite. He sat for a second and moved it around in his mouth. He swallowed and looked at me. "It's actually good." we both laughed and sat and watched the comedy bit. About thirty minutes into it we heard rain start to pour outside. It added a smooth white noise that made me feel comfortable.

When we were done with the milkshakes we paid and ran through the rain out to the car. I let him drive since I was getting tired. We got down the road about two miles when we noticed a dog in the road. More like I noticed. He didn't.

"STOP! DOG!" He looked at me then the road and slammed on the brakes. The car lurched and started to screech spinning. I closed my eyes and screamed. The car slammed to a stop. After we felt the tires hit the dog. I started to cry.

"What did you do!?" I asked him through my tears.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He unbuckled his seat belt and started checking me to make sure I was okay.

"I'm fine, but what about the dog!" I yelled at him while taking off my seat belt. I opened the car door and stepped out into the fierce rain. I ran to the back of the car and looked around. The dog was laying there and by the way he was breathing it was obvious he was in pain but alive. He has blood on his right hind leg and he began to whimper.