Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Rose and Key.

     My eyes open to sunlight streaming in through the tiny window in my one-room house. I shield my eyes and sit up. Delina, my younger sister, is sleeping on the mattress beside me. Her curly brown hair is tangled and her young face carefree, maybe that's because she won't have her name be put into the bowl until she's 12. She's only ten now. She's not looking forward to getting older. Nobody ever does in the Districts. Delina stirs a bit and murmurs my name, "Jonette." I stand up and stretch, yawning as I do so. Raquel, my older sister, is under the covers. Kane, my twin brother, has his face in the mattress. And my father looks like he's the only one sleeping normally. I get dressed in a black shirt, a pair of tan trousers, my green-gray jacket, and lace up boots. I tied them up and grab a bag. I put my hair in a ponytail and look back at my family. They are all sleeping. The Reaping isn't until two, so they decided to sleep in. But I feel like making a little splurge today and buy two ribbons, one for Raquel and one for Delina, and a few lucky buttons for my brother and father. I open the door and breathe in the fresh air. Well, it's not very fresh, but it's cool and not as stuffy as inside our dusty house. I start walking towards the Market. Before you make assumptions, let me explain. In the central part of District 8 is the real market. But up north, in the poor part, we have our own Market. We use barter systems instead of money, unless we actually have money to spare. I plan to use the barter system. How? I brought some old clothes in my bag, those that are too big for us and that we have no use for. I stitched them up so they would be in better condition. I see the supposedly abandoned factory that we barter in.

     I push open the door and smile. I can smell soup cooking in a pot, liquor, woodsmoke, and all the people around me. I breathe out and start walking. I first walk over to Saraphine, the lady who sells fabrics, thread, buttons, needles, ribbons, everything you need. You see, here in District 8, most of us make our own clothes. I'm a pretty good seamstress. If I want to get enough to eat I have to be. I smile at Saraphine. "Jonette, dear, how are you? How's your family? I haven't seen you in a while." Saraphine says. She is middle aged, with long dark hair and pretty brown eyes. She has a few children who help out at her little shop. "They're fine. I've been busy trying to find enough food. Times are tough." I say sadly. Saraphine nods and I grab two buttons and two ribbons. "How much?" I ask. Saraphine shakes her head. "Don't be silly. Today, for you, they're free. And get a ribbon for yourself." She says. I nod and take them. "Thanks." I say. She nods and I walk off. I sell the old clothes for some bread and fish.

     I walk back home with my bag full and push open the door. When I do, my whole family is ready. I must have been gone longer than I had thought. Raquel's auburn hair is down and brushed. She is wearing a pretty cream-coloured dress. My father and my brother wear almost identical button-up shirts and trousers. Delina is tugging a comb through her frizzy hair. She is wearing a white blouse and a blue patterned skirt that matches her eyes, and I realize that the ribbon matches too. I chuckle. "I should get ready." I say. I quickly get dressed in a soft black dress and pull my hair up into a ponytail. I tie it with the black ribbon and rush over to my family. I toss the lucky buttons to be father and Kane, and they know what to do with them. Their shirts have been missing a button each forever. They immediately sew them on. I hand the green ribbon to Raquel and she ties her hair into a bun, and I walk over to Delina with the ribbon. "How should I do your hair?" I ask. "Braid! Just one!" Delina says. She sits on a chair and I braid her hair down her back. I tie it with the ribbon and stand up. "Let's go." I say, and we set off.

     We reach the town square within a few minutes. I stand in the 16 section with Kane, Raquel goes to the 18 section, and Delina and my father go to the family section and wait. Suddenly a perky woman hops onstage and I groan. Fifi Coogle. She's our escort every year. She's got mint-green skin and purple hair. "Good afternoon, District 8! I am so excited to choose the tribute, this year! So let's get to it!" She trills, marching over to the girl's bowl. "Ladies first!" Fifi announces. She thrusts her hand into the bowl and picks up a slip, but then drops it, as if to say No, not this one. And finally plucks up a slip. I cross my fingers and whisper, "Please, Not me or Raquel. Please please..." And Fifi unfolds the slip and walks over to the microphone. "Jonette Simona!"