Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Rose and Key.

Only a few tributes stick out in my mind. A dark haired girl named Clove from District 2, who is tall and lithe. I suppose Clove must be a common name down in District 2. I remember two years back, a tribute from her District was named Clove. She was pretty close to winning.The boy from her District, Mason, has the same dark hair.  I know first off I can't have those two as my enemies. It's just a feeling, like an instinct. They don't look particularly dangerous, but I know for a fact that looks can be deceiving. I watch them shake hands, looking as if they were friends. Maybe they are. More tributes that make an impression, the pair from District 4 and the pair from 12. They seem to be hiding some skill that could win them the Games. The pair from 4 don't look to be threats, but as I said, looks can be deceiving. The pair from 12 may be dangerous, too. They don't look to be it, though. I continue eating my dinner silently until the recaps finish. I push my empty plate away from me and turn to Cecelia. "Alright, here's some ground rules. After dinner, it's lights out. You'll want to be well-rested before you get into the arena." She explains. How are we supposed to sleep, knowing that soon we'll be thrown into a death trap? I nod anyways. "Second rule, no communication with other tributes except for making alliances. Allies are very helpful in the arena." She says. "Third and final rule, pay attention to every order by every person that could help you, meaning you listen to Woof, Melinda, Moira, Fifi, your prep teams, and myself. Understood?" Cecelia asks. I nod and Brian does too.

An hour passes, us making small talk about alliances, training, sponsors, and other important factors of the Hunger Games. I listen intently, because if Cecelia and Woof won, maybe they can help one of us win, too. I yawn seven times during our long conversation. Soon enough, Cecelia is shooing me and Brian off to our rooms. When I reach mine, I spot Brian leaning against the wall beside it. "Can I help you?" I ask. He frowns. "Uh, no. Didn't know this was your room. Sorry." He says, and walks away. Odd. I open the door to my room and run to the bed. I collapse on it and sigh tiredly. My eyes are already starting to close. I take off my shoes and immediately burrow under the covers. After only minutes, I drift off into a deep sleep.