Chapter Four

I flinch back, raising my arms defensively as Laura rushes at me. Her feet sweep the ground, she's not even taking steps! Her arms raise, those frightening fingers in need of a manicure reaching for me --- and then she just disappears.

Just as she reaches me, she disappears. She doesn't fade, she doesn't slowly go --- no, she fucking disappears into thin air like some kind of Houdini.

I drop my arms after a moment, feeling the blood drain from my face.

"What in the ever loving hell?" I hear Guyliner wheeze, small man helping him sit up. He presses his hand against his chest, winded. "Since when do they do that!?"

"She's attached to the girl, and you made her feel threatened," small man says calmly, both of them getting to their feet. "Don't touch her again unless you want that poltergeist to tear us to shreds. This isn't our territory."

Poltergeist?

"Laura's not a poltergeist!" I manage, although wishing I'd just keep my damned mouth shut. "She's not --- well, she isn't...."

What am I saying?

I don't even know what she is.

"You, little lady, are in so much trouble right now," Guyliner mutters, dusting off his clothes. "Your friend died, and she's clinging to this world. That's all well and good, except she can't do that. The longer she stays, the worse she's going to get, until she turns into even more of a shell of her former self. She's attached to you, and she's going to end up hurting you."

"And so what am I supposed to do about it?" How crazy is this situation right now? Why am I even going along with this? I press my hands against my face, trying to count to three over and over; it used to calm my nerves, the repetitiveness helped me focus, but it doesn't seem to be working now.

"You can come with us and let us see if we can fix this, or you can go back and let your friend eventually kill you." Guyliner says bluntly, apparently no longer joking around. He looks serious, his dark eyes on my face. "I'm suggesting the first."

Laura would kill me?

"What happens if I come with you?"

"We'll see if we can't exorcise her spirit. Help her move on. If everything works, we'll have you back in time for your morning class." Guyliner smirks as he crosses his arms. "Although you might have to skip breakfast."

"I don't eat breakfast." Why did I just say that?

Guyliner rolls his eyes, and he turns away. He fumbles a moment, muttering under his breath as he looks for something on his belt. Finally, he finds what he's looking for, raising a stick into the air.

Please tell me that's not a magic wand.

"A-ha! I told you I didn't lose this," he smirks at the smaller man, pleased with himself. 

"Of course, Gavin." The smaller man rolls his eyes.

Guyliner faces forward, and he kneels, scratching something in the ground with the black stick. He mumbles something I can't hear, and then hops back just as something explodes.

I shield my face instantly, protecting myself against the sudden gust of air.

Oh holy hell.

I suddenly don't want to go.

I stare at the white mass in front of me. It's so bright it makes my eyes water, and the wind coming out of it keeps my clothes and hair moving around me. This is definitely something out of a horror movie.

My life is suddenly a horror movie, that's wonderful. Do I get the dramatic death at the end?

"Take my hand," Guyliner offers reluctantly. "Hold tight. If you let go, I don't know where you'll end up."