2. Agatha (Unedited)

April got up from the bed. Her body swayed a bit, but she managed to steady herself.

"Where are you going, Miss?" Monica questioned with both of her hands on either side of her waist.

April who was putting her shoes on said," I need to see Agatha. Mom asked me to take her blessings before the wedding."

"What? Like you want to meet her now? In this rain?" Monica fretted.

"Yes, I have wasted enough of the time already, Mon," April spoke as she grabbed her umbrella and started walking out of the house.

"Wait!" April heard someone shout behind her and saw Monica approaching her.

"Two is better than one," Monica chirped.

"Always," April beamed at her.

The normal drizzle turned into perfect thunderstorm by the time they arrived at Agatha's house. They were soaked to their bones. April's fist drummed on Agatha's door announcing her presence.

"Agatha, It is me, April. Open the door," April shouted.

Agatha opened the door and looked at completely drenched girls. She grimaced.

"Good lord, children what are you doing at this time of night?" Agatha asked.

"Umm.. if you don't mind can we come in? It is cold out here," Monica asked in a small voice not wanting to upset the elder already more than she is by arriving at her house unannounced.

"Yes, yes, of course, come inside girls. It is not cold, it's freezing outside," Agatha said as she sidestepped and allowed the girls to come inside.

As April stepped inside the house the coldness which had seeped through her gauzy gown and chilled her skin was now replaced with welcoming warmth.

April looked around the house as it was for the first time she has ever been in the house of the eldest member of the village. In the house where sections of ceiling hung limply with the stale air. Pieces of damp plaster lie over an unruly black floor. Coldwater seeping through broken window frames was the reason they were rotten and blistered.

The house was lit with candles and books scattered everywhere. The house held secrets older than it's resident.

Agatha came back with thick towel blanket and wrapped it around the girls.

"There you go. All tucked in and cozy," Agatha smiled as she sat on the chair opposite to theirs after offering them warm soup.

"So girls what can I do for you?" Agatha asked as she took a spoonful of soup and drank some of it herself.

"Nothing like that, mother. We just came to visit you," Monica murmured as she drank the warm soup.

"I may be old, girl, but I am no  fool," Agatha stated.

Agatha let out a dry chuckle looking at April she repeated her question," What can I do for you?"

"This is the letter Aaron left and asked me to get your blessings, Ma," April answered with a dim look in her eyes. Agatha read the letter and sighed.

"You have my blessings, but you must accompany me to red alley" Agatha stated.

April dropped her hands and stiffened in her position and Monica gasped loudly.

"But..but mother that place is rumoured to be haunted," Monica worriedly spoke.

"Yes, but I am old now and my bones don't support me and if you want my blessings, you must come with me!" Agatha stated nonchalantly.

"No, my husband won't allow me, I thank you, mother, for your time but we will take your leave," April affirmed as she rose from her seat and walked towards the door with Monica tailing behind her.

"I am leaving in two hours, April. If you wish to join me, give your guards this. This will knock them off for few hours, but only for few hours," Agatha cautioned as she handed her a small bag.

April took the bag and nodded and walked out of the door.

"You will go there won't you?" Monica quipped as she stood next to April.

"No, that is not what an ideal wife would do," April muttered as she gave Monica a sad smile.

Authors note:-

Eeep! Two updates in a row. I promise to update daily and as frequently as I can but do let me know what do you think of this chapter.

Please do vote comment and share.

Love,

Kshama Hasmukh Doshi