56. Heart

A.N// yes, i know it's been a while...way too long in fact, and i hate myself for it but i hope you enjoy anyway..
.
.
.
Kate's POV

After Calum ate the breakfast that I cooked and Luke had seconds, I went upstairs so I could change. We'd all just sat around the island in the middle of my kitchen and made light conversation, just to catch up a little.

Luke and I were silent for the most part, and we just let Calum do all of the talking because his life events seemed to be way more exciting than ours during the past couple weeks. Every now and then, I would add in my commentary and Luke would just nod along, but that was mainly it.

Luke had planned to take me to his house to pick up my Christmas presents from he and his family. After I opened them, the guys were planning on going to a beach about thirty minutes from Luke's house. Calum was going to go once we left my house, but Luke and I were going to meet them there.

Once we were done at the beach, all of us were supposed to head back to Luke's house for a Christmas dinner. Joy, Calum's mom, was going to be helping Liz cook. I didn't even have to question that because I knew that if they were both pitching in, this would be an excellent dinner.

I had a short mental debate on whether I wanted to stay and help the women cook or not. On one hand, I wanted to offer my help whenever I could, but I also wanted to hang out with my friends and have a chill day.

It wasn't that hard of a decision to make, but I ultimately ended up picking the beach. I hadn't been in a while, and it looked like the perfect day outside to go.

As soon as I got to my room, I went to my closet to find something to wear. I quickly decided on just a pair of denim shorts and a plain grey shirt, simple enough. I pulled out some tan and grey sandals to go with and I slipped those on quickly.

Then, I went over to my vanity and I spent a solid five minutes in the mirror trying to figure out if I wanted to put my hair into a ponytail or just leave it down. After the short debate, I chose down, and I brushed out the few tangles that were lingering amongst the strands.

I opened one of the drawers to get out a swimsuit for the beach and I found a decently sized tote bag in my closet to put it and a beach towel in.

As I was looking for some sunscreen, I heard a light tap at my door. I knew it could be one of two people.

"Come in," I called to whoever was on the other side of my door. It opened about a split second after to reveal Luke. He came in and took a seat at the edge of my bed.

"Are you almost ready?" he asked, a hint of nervousness behind his voice. I just nodded, continuing to pack the bag I was going to take to the beach. I assumed that Luke would just take me home afterwards so I was only getting enough for the beach.

"Do you want me to take my car so you don't have to drive back to my house after dinner at yours?" I questioned, looking straight into his eyes. They darted around the room, trying to focus on anything except me. He was back to being timid.

"Um...I thought you would want to spend the night at my house. If you don't, that's fine too and you can just take your car as well," Luke explained. I pondered over his offer for a second, not exactly knowing what I wanted.

I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible, but i also wanted to make sure I wasn't moving things too fast. Even so, it was basically harmless to sleep in the same bed as him, as long as we weren't doing anything. Somehow, we always ended up getting ourselves into something, and most of the time, the resultant wasn't as amazing as I'd expected it to be.

I just looked at him for a moment before saying, "I guess staying over for one night won't hurt. Plus, I miss it...and you."

Luke looked up at me and finally made eye contact, giving me a shy smile as well. He was awfully cute, and often times I felt like I didn't deserve him.