[21] irl

lilac awoke tangled up with grant. his arm was slithered around her waist rather tightly, and she couldn't escape. so, she wiggled around until he woke up too.

grant mumbled and groaned in his sleep. he finally woke up—no, shot up from his sleep and quickly took his arm from her waist. lilac 'pretended' to be asleep as grant picked her up bridal style and placed her back on the couch.

she felt grant's eyes on her for longer than normal before he disappeared into the bathroom. she then sat up and grabbed her phone off of her charger.

grant reentered and sat next to her. "do you know how to cook?" he said with mint lacing his breath.

"yeah, i can make eggs for us. -i mean, if you want-maybe you don't want eggs? i don't know." she rambled on naturally.

"i'd love some eggs. i'll do toast?"

"toast.." she repeated, letting it sink in. "sure, toast is fine." she finally admitted.

the pair made a wonderfully filling breakfast by the end.

at first, grant burnt the toast and had to restart. lilac tried her hardest to make over easy eggs but she kept breaking the yolk. she gave up eventually and just made scrambled.

they ate contently, occasionally grabbing glances at each-other. they lightly conversed—nothing was awkward between them, and lilac forgot all about the hate she received.

"i'm going to be super sad, grant," lilac told him, wiping her lips with a napkin.

"why's that?" he asked her, biting the inside of his cheek.

"when i leave in two days. god knows when i'll be able to see you again!"

"petal, don't you worry."

"thomas grant gustin, i have every reason on earth to be worried. you are my best friend." she complained, rolling her eyes.

"what about montgomery?" grant smirked, challenging her.

"shut up grant."

"okay..okay.." he raised his hands in defense.

"li? i have a serious question."

"shoot." she looked at him sincerely.

"do you..do you believe in soulmates? or like..fate?" he ran a hand through his hair.

"sure..why not? there can't not be fate. it's all planned out somewhere, maybe in a big ass book. but, yeah. i believe in it." she picked up her water and sipped it.

"what about love?" he asked, and she nearly choked on her water.

"say what now? what about love?" she put her drink down and coughed.

"do you y'know..believe in it?"

"i believe in gabriella and troy if that's what you mean." she smiled, joking.

"i'm serious, lilac," his face was indeed, very serious, and had little hint of any emotion behind it, and lilac cleared her throat.

"yeah. i believe that you can fall in love. wh-?" grant cut her off.

"can you fall in love quickly?"

"of course you can. if you love someone, you love them. it doesn't matter how long it took you to realize it." she truthfully stated, speaking from past experiences.

"have you ever loved anyone? besides family..like, more than friends." he kept asking questions.

she scoffed. "is this an interview, grant?"

"yes, i loved people. i gave the wrong people the right part of me, and now..i don't want to give anything—to anyone."

"sorry lilac, you don't deserve that." he said mumbling.

"nobody deserves to be hurt, to be heartbroken, or to be told lies. everyone lies at one point, its up to the other person to find out if they are telling the truth. and i guess that's where i'm lacking." she sighed, remembering her past relationships.

"lilac?"

"yeah?" she looked up at him.

"thank you, that made me realize something."

"realize what?"

"that i'm in love."

"awh grant, thats so sweet! with who?" she smiled, happy for her best friend, and completely oblivious.

he looked around nervously, trying to find any excuse possible.

"uh, erm..that's not important. this
—this kitchen isn't going to clean itself so we better get working." he stood up and took their plates, and started to clean up.