7 | home

What is a home?

What is a home?

A home, to Byun Baekhyun, is Kim Taeyeon.

Someone he can confide in; the other half of him who he's too deeply attached to for his own good. During his worst days - the ones where he loses himself entirely because no one is exactly born to handle an idol life - she was there. She was always there, ever so willing to take his pain away with her gentle words and soft caresses. And in all honesty, she is still here, hand outstretched, warm presence overwhelming as always.

If Baekhyun could, he would have spent whole lifetimes on fixing back the strings that have went taut between them. Trim the loose threads off, sew the torn ones (the ones he tore) back together. Nothing would stop a determined man like him.

Yet, he has commitments. An unsigned contract between him and the members, and even his family. It's not just about him now; the entire group's welfare will be at stake, and everything would crumble to dust with a mere wrong move from his side.

He loves her, of course he does.

But she's a home he can't return to.

- ❆ -

It's a cold, cold morning in early November when Baekhyun had an individual photoshoot at 10 AM. Having had gamed till the wee hours, all he wanted to do was to urge their manager to gun the engine and drive him back to the dorm as fast as possible so that he could get a shut eye.

However, two other members ended their schedules unexpectedly early, and that left the manager with no choice but to pick them up on the way. When the twin towers whined about craving for coffee, Baekhyun felt an irresistible temptation to smack their heads. Still, caffeine sounded like a good idea for his sleep deprived state, and so he'd agreed to send them out of the van for a coffee trip to the cafe they frequented.

The fall rain started out light, before escalating into a heavy downpour. Baekhyun opted to stay in the vehicle, a melancholic song drifting from his inserted white earpieces as he crossed his arms and leaned back into the cushioned headrest.

Following the slam of the sliding door, Baekhyun looked out to see Chanyeol and Sehun jogging over to the warm haven across the tiny street. With the raindrops blurring his view, he thought he'd seen wrongly. He wanted to believe that his eyes were playing tricks on him, because there stood the one and only Kim Taeyeon, the girl he avoided at all costs over the past 7 months.

His heart shuddered painfully when he took in her petite form that looked so damn vulnerable under the pouring rain.

A small exchange went on between his band mates and Taeyeon. The latter's gaze seemed to pierce into his for a moment, but Baekhyun remembered the windows were heavily tinted. It didn't matter though; he had inhaled sharply when their gazes met, and being the timid fool he was, relief coursed through his entire body when he noticed she couldn't actually see him.