14 | if i had wings

a/n; a double update so do make sure that you've read chapter 13 before this! ^^

4 years later

"And that concludes today's session with the NCT kids. Do remember to tune in to Taeng's radio show next Monday at 3pm as well, thank you and have a lovely day!"

Removing her headphones, Taeyeon stands to give each NCT member a farewell hug. They are a huge bunch, and she eventually opts for a group hug instead, her tiny figure enveloped in warmth for a moment before her phone vibrates and she excuses herself promptly. 

I've been freezing in here for ages, you'd better get your ass out soon, the message reads.

Taeyeon looks up, spotting the familiar figure waiting outside the recording room immediately. Grinning, she leaves the room hastily, shouting her farewell to the NCT members. 

"I see you've improved a lot in radio shows." 

Taeyeon smirks and flips her hair, only for Sunny to continue with, "I must have been an amazing teacher."

At that, Taeyeon purses her lips to show annoyance, and the two burst out laughing. It's been way too long since they both met each other, but their conversation topics never seem to cease, as always.

"Are you going to Sooyoung's housewarming party next week?" Sunny asks, trailing behind Taeyeon who heads straight for the couch to pack her belongings.

"We have to, don't we?" Taeyeon mumbles absentmindedly. 

"And see her get drunk while clinging onto her husband like a koala bear? Watch them do mushy stuff? And-"

"Record down her silly antics to threaten her in the future." Taeyeon finishes with a high-five, the two snickering in delight as they leave the room and head down the corridors.

It has been some time since they've split paths, but most of the members are still in the entertainment industry. Despite adopting a low profile, Taeyeon still has idols of the new generation bowing a proper 90 degrees bow to her, causing her to bow back bashfully more often than not. 

On the way out of the building, she notices how quiet Sunny is. Her lips are pressed thinly, eyebrows furrowed. 

Taeyeon prods at her arm, causing Sunny to jerk slightly in surprise and hum. 

"What's bothering you?" 

Sunny hesitates. They've reached the lobby now, following the familiar route to the building's cafe for a late lunch. Sensing Sunny's hesitance in spilling what's on her mind, which is a very rare occurrence, Taeyeon slows down. 

When they finally come to a halt, Sunny finally turns to meet Taeyeon's gaze. "Seeing how you're acting..." Pausing, her lips turn into a frown with a very slight hint of pity. "It seems like you're not aware yet, hmm?"

"... Of what?" Despite knowing that things aren't as serious as Sunny exaggerates, Taeyeon can't help but feel a sense of dread. The nasty weights that pull her down - she hasn't felt them in a long time now.

Reaching into her bag, Sunny pulls out a silver envelope that's neatly opened, the content having been read. "When was the last time you opened your mailbox, Taeyeon?"

"2 weeks ago... I haven't had the time to do so, and I'm not waiting for any important mails anyway." Taeyeon trails off as Sunny places the envelope gently, and almost carefully, in her hands. 

Reaching in, Taeyeon unfolds the letter within the envelope. She doesn't know why she's treating it with such great care, but something in her tells her it's important. And Sunny's behaviour alone is proof that it's not something she would like. 

There isn't much content, just 3 paragraphs. 

The first paragraph - a sense of humour she's so used to.

The second paragraph - a much more serious tone, the words making her breath hitch.

The third paragraph - a location and a timing.

It's a wedding invitation.

a/n; we are left with one more chapter - the epilogue!!! will try to get it up by the end of this week, but that depends on whether i'm still alive after tonight's mv teaser lmao