12 | scarlet heart

5 months later

Stopping to take a breather, Byun Baekhyun hunches over, hands placed on his thighs as he grabs a bottle of water from his pile of belongings. The back of his shirt is drenched with sweat after hours of vigorous practice and Baekhyun wants nothing more than a warm shower, but with the upcoming comeback, even an extra minute of practice is precious.

"Hyung!"

Baekhyun screws the cap back onto the bottle before turning to find Sehun walking briskly towards him. 

"Have you heard? The finalised destination for the workshop next month?"

Since his mouth is still full of water, Baekhyun merely hums questioningly as he stares back at Sehun's indecipherable expression.

"It's at Soseol."

Seeing how Baekhyun is swallowing calmly, as if everything's fine, Sehun exclaims, "It's the place you went with Taeyeon-"

"Sehun," The elder one bends to place the bottle of half-drained water on the polished wooden floorboards before straightening and rolling his shoulders in an attempt to loosen up his tense muscles. He faces the mirrors, not meeting Sehun's gaze. "Can you show me that third move from the chorus again? The one where we'll be supporting Jongin? I can't seem to get that right."

There's a moment of hesitation before Sehun complies, all the while throwing concerned glances at Baekhyun. 

He doesn't miss the way his gaze wavers. 

—❆ —

It's a quarter before 8pm when the practice for the day concludes with a chorus of cheers and sighs of relief. The practice room is quiet the moment everyone starts using their phones, until Junmyeon announces a dinner outing together and as if on cue, all other members start streaming out of the room with amusing excuses. It isn't anything new, however, and so Junmyeon lets the matter slide while Jongdae sends a good-natured punch to the leader's shoulder while snickering. 

Baekhyun, being someone who's unable to stand having a sweaty body and being sticky in general, is the first one out of the door with his black duffel bag in hand. The vocalist heads straight for the shower room and takes a much needed warm shower in under 10 minutes, using a towel to ruffle his hair while he steps out in a fresh set of clean clothes.

It's an appropriate time for dinner but Baekhyun isn't particularly hungry and he has been having a sweet tooth for the entire day, his stomach scrunching in anticipation at the thought of that.