5 | foolish hearts

Taeyeon wakes up to an empty, cold spot next to her.

The memories of last night come flooding back and she simply lies still on her side to gaze at the bare space beside her. It's weird — what she's feeling. Waves after waves of confusion as she recalls the "I love you" Baekhyun had mumbled. In spite of the fatigue that clouded her mind, she knows she heard it loud and clear. The honey-like voice that had pierced through the wintry night.

The question comes again — what are they now

She is more than aware that Baekhyun is somewhat forced by her to come on this trip. For all she knows, he might already have left. Who would want to spend the night with someone who trampled on their heart? 

With a heavy heart, Taeyeon makes a mental note that Baekhyun still has every right to be angry at her. 

—❆—

Tightening the embrace of the knitted cardigan around her shoulders, Taeyeon treads the wooden floorboards lightly. The kitchen is flooded with warm rays at 9 in the morning, a mouthwatering sweet scent of kimchi welcoming her the moment she spots Baekhyun with his back faced towards her. 

He doesn't seem to notice her presence. Instead, the 26 year old continues to stir whatever he's cooking in the pot, shifting his weight from leg to leg. For a moment, Taeyeon doesn't move, doesn't speak, doesn't dare to make a single sound. She takes in the guy's backview, his wide shoulders that she missed burying her face into. She imagines the warmth — his warmth , the scent — his scent , that come with the affectionate action. 

Could a person be standing a mere few feet from you, but seem so far away?

Seconds later, Baekhyun turns the gas stove off and lifts the steaming pot with a pair of beige coloured mitts covering his hands. When he turns to place the pot on the table, Taeyeon quietly frets, worried that he might drop the entire pot in surprise if he is to see her standing behind him soundlessly. Yet, there's only a split second glance towards her direction, his face betraying no emotions at all.

He knows, then? That she's been standing behind him all this while?

Taeyeon mumbles a "good morning" before she makes a beeline for one of the cabinets, certain that she saw a box of cereal in one of the higher ones. No matter how tempting the kimchi stew is, she's pretty sure that it isn't meant for her. The boy has always had a huge appetite and it just doesn't make sense for him to prepare breakfast for the very person who deprived him of his free time he could be spending in Seoul now.

The first cabinet she opens reveals a large cardboard box with the words "blueberry morning" sprawled across the front. Taeyeon knows she can't possibly reach it, but it wouldn't hurt to try, right?