8 | time and fallen leaves

Days blur past and a few weeks after their return from Soseol, Taeyeon is handed a draft copy of the duet song she is to have with Baekhyun

Days blur past and a few weeks after their return from Soseol, Taeyeon is handed a draft copy of the duet song she is to have with Baekhyun. Being a veteran in singing, Taeyeon foresaw no major problems in this duet, but now that she has taken a look at the lyrics, she feels her heart take a literal dive hundreds of feet underground. 

It's a ballad titled 'Petals' and the lyricist has managed to weave bits and pieces of what a long distance relationship would feel like into the song. Simply skimming through the words that accurately describe her relationship with Baekhyun is already paining her - she doesn't dare to imagine the emotional mess she'll be once they start recording. 

"How is it?"

Taeyeon looks up to meet her manager, Junghyun's, gaze. She feels a smile tugging at her lips; on the bright side, it just means that she'll be better able to convey her emotions in the song. Be professional, Taeyeon, she tells herself.

"It's good. I like it." 

Junghyun's shoulders sag in relief, and Taeyeon nearly chuckles at the sight. She knows how tough it is at times, since she very rarely accepts any songs, let alone a duet with Byun Baekhyun. For a moment, Taeyeon wonders how the song will actually turn out to be. They both have a fair share of high notes and falsettos in the draft version, and the pair hasn't really tried singing together before. 

Their last night at Soseol has successfully placed her back at square one, or worse, way before square one. When Baekhyun had cried into her shoulder, when she had leaned into Baekhyun's warmth in that winter night, what was Taeyeon expecting to happen? 

Albeit, his cold demeanor toned down noticeably when they arrived back in Seoul. Placing one's hopes too high, however, has taught Taeyeon nothing but disappointment. Thus, the girl took hesitant steps back into her cavern, because it's where she feels the safest. It's where no one would attack her with vicious and thoughtless comments. It's where she's alone, but if being alone meant she'd have peace for just a moment, she's... contented with it.

— ❆ —

baekhyun: hey.

baekhyun: will you be free tomorrow? 

Taeyeon stares.

When was the last time they actually texted? 

Palms going clammy at a speed that's way too rapid, Taeyeon tries to make her frozen fingers move to at least type something because she has opened the chat without much thought, and she knows, from Baekhyun's side, that he's seeing the 'read' on his message that was sent a minute ago. What if he thinks she's been waiting for her message? What if he's judging her now? What if he's narrowing his eyes at her in disapproval because she looks just like a lovesick hamster at this moment?