Chapter 18

Hi guys.  Read, vote, comment....And thanx to all who do so regularly.  I couldn't have gotten this far without your support :)  (Neither would this story :P)   lol.  Okay...read on.  Please mind the little errors...once again, no editing done yet :)  Heads up to the dude who gets the dedication.  Thanx for the brilliant idea ;)  Happy reading :D

Medea:

Locke was still fuming about the spell she put on him.  Served him right, the big lug!  He was crouched in front of the fire, poking at the flames with a scowl on his face.  She stared at him a moment longer, and when he continued to ignore her presence, she sauntered off to talk to Nik.  He was grimly glaring at the door, hands on his lean hips as he leaned with one leg against the wall.  She came up beside him and mimicked his pose.

“How long do you think they’ll be?”  He shifted his eyes to her. 

“Hard to tell.”  She brushed her long hair aside and peeked at him through her lashes.

“Can’t you just open the door?  Just enough for me to enter?”  Exasperation was clear on his face.  He sank down against the wall and pulled up his knees, wrapping his arms around them.

“The ward remains intact until they give me the clear.”  There wasn’t much else she could say.  She wouldn’t risk his life that way, no matter how sad he looked.  “You can hear them inside Nikos.  They’re all alright in there.” 

“Yeah, I guess.”

Admiring the strong lines of his stubborn jaw, the small cleft in his chin, and the warmth in his eyes, she crossed her denim clad legs, dropped her chin on her knees and tried to ignore the tightening in her belly.

Locke stood up and stretched.  “I’m going to get something to eat.  I haven’t eaten since this morning.”  He glanced at the clock on the wall, ticking away just past seven.  “Want anything…after I find a good place…”  He wasn’t familiar with these parts, but he wouldn’t get lost, not with the superior tracking skill he was blessed with. 

Medea shook her head.  “I could whip something up.  I have some stuff in the fridge.  Maybe a salad?”  She offered.

“Salad?”  Locke rolled his eyes and pointed to his firm stomach, the shirt stretched taut against his abs.  “Do I look like I pack salads in here?”

Biting back a smirk at him, she said, “There’s a bakery downstairs that makes a mean cottage pie that has ‘meat’ in it.”  Making air quotes around the word meat, she grinned. 

“They open till eight.   I’ll have a blueberry muffin, if you don’t mind.  Nik?” 

“Not really hungry, but thanks.”

Locke turned back to Medea.  “Be right back.”

At least he was talking to her now.  One less tense person to worry about.