Chapter 1

"Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride.

"The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge. Riverdale Police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So, a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident, as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reached down to get it, and accidentally tipped the boat, and panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the "July Fourth tragedy" on the last day of summer vacation, when a new mystery rolled into town."

Jughead Jones paused his typing momentarily to take a sip of his coffee and look Blake Andrews who was sitting across from him. The pair were sat in their usual booth at Pop's diner; the only place in town where the pair weren't constantly bothered. Blake's dark hair was pulled into a high pony tail and her dark eyes scanned the book that was in her hands. Her chocolate milkshake in front of her forgotten as she crawled further into her book. The corners of Jughead's lips turned upwards as he watched her eyes flick back and forth. Jughead's raven locks were tucked under his signature beanie and his usual fur lined jacket was slung over Blake's legs. Her dark clothes echoed his as they always seemed to subconsciously mimic each other. Their legs were tangled together under the table.

Blake and Archie Andrews had known Jughead as long as they could remember. The Andrews twins were the only other set of twins at Riverdale high school. There were lots of similarities and differences between the Andrews' and the Blossom's. The Blossom's were a year older than the Andrews' and from the richest family in Riverdale. Jason and Archie both played football but whereas Cheryl was a cheerleader, Blake took track. And while Archie had the same shade red hair as the Blossom's from his mother, Blake had her father's dark brown locks. Another difference was Archie and Blake seemed to have a better look on life than the Blossom's.

Blake's dark eyes finally looked up from her book and met Jughead's. "What?" She asked with a small smile.

"Nothing." He muttered returning her smile as she looked back at her book.

Jughead and Blake had been secretly dating since the start of the summer. Secretly because Blake didn't know how her brother would react. Archie and Jughead had fallen out at the beginning of the summer and hadn't talked since. Neither of them really minded keeping their relationship from everyone else but they both realised that it probably wouldn't stay secret long after they returned to school. Then Blake would have to deal with Archie.