Chapter 7

"I think many of us, maybe the entire town, had been hoping against hope that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July 4th. That we'd come to school Monday morning, and there Jason would be. Or that we'd see him and Cheryl in a booth at Pop's. But that was before the undeniable, irrevocable fact of his bloated, water-logged body, a corpse with a bullet hole in its forehead, and terrible secrets that could only be revealed by the cold, steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel, or the tell-tale beating of a guilty heart." 

No one stayed at the river long after Jason's body had been moved. Blake, Archie and their dad had driven home in silence and when they got there, had all gone their separate ways. Blake locked herself in her room and pulled a bottle of vodka she had been hiding from under her bed. She took a gulp of the crystal-clear liquor and let it burn her throat as the tears started to stream down her face. She couldn't help but feel it was all her fault. She couldn't talk to anyone about it because her demons were waiting to drag her to the underworld.

Blake had drunk about half of the bottle and was starting to feel its effect when there was a knock on her window. She jumped slightly and looked over to find that familiar black hair hidden by a grey beanie. She walked over, the bottle discarded on the floor, and unlocked the window. Jughead pushed it open and climbed through; worry was etched across his face. He pulled her straight into his arms and placed kisses into her hair. They stayed like that for a while before Jughead's eyes caught the half-drunk bottle stood on the floor next to her bed. He let her go, walked over to the bottle, placed the lid back on and placed it in his bag.

"You don't need it." He said as he stood there and looked at her.

"It's all my fault." She whispered as she broke further.

Jughead strode back over to her and pulled her into his chest. She gripped the material of his shirt tightly in her hands. He looked down at her and cursed whoever had made her feel like this. "It's not your fault."

"It is. He's not supposed to be dead." She whimpered.

Jughead just took her remarks as denial and pulled her down onto her bed and onto his chest. "It's all going to be all right." He comforted her.