Chapter One

Jak lay on the old wooden boat that bounced and shook with every lap of water it hit. Looking up, he saw little stars trying to peek through the darkening veil they call a sky as the sun slowly started to set below the horizon.

Samos's Hut stood up high on the rock, its wind mill turning slowly, creaking, with every whisper of the wind. Its hay roof softly lifting up as the wind blew, letting it run through it. He knew that the old bricks slightly groaned as the house shook with even the slightest push of the wind. tiny , black birds circled the roof of the house, their caws echoing into the early morning, going around in circles searching for any sign of food, hoping the Green Sage would give some to them. The lookout tower sat peacefully and Jak hoped that Samos wouldn't come out any time soon to look upon Misty Island, catching them sneaking off.

He tucked his hands behind his head and rested his back against the front of the boat, throwing one leg over the other, relaxing while bouncing his foot up and down in rhythm to the waves. The giant metal fan propelled them forward, cutting through the semi-calm water with ease.

Daxter ran forward from the fan covering his mouth, his face turning to a pale shade of green, dropping to his knees as leaned over the side of the boat, losing his dinner that he ate. Jak chuckled at Daxter, shaking his head as he looked back up into the sky.

Daxter had blonde and orange hair that stood straight up, since his leather goggles held his hair back off of his face. He wore a bright red vest over a white thin long sleeve shirt that stopped right above his wrists, and brown riding gloves. He had a round shaped head with his ears sticking out going out into a point.

That's the thing about everyone in Sandover Village. Their ears stuck out at least a foot and pointed up to the sky.

As far back as Jak could remember, which wasnt all too far back, he and Dax have been friends. Daxter always mouthed off to the Sage, but everyone knew that he really was scared of everything. They used to go and mess with the old farmer's Yak Cows on his farm down near the Forbidden Jungle, and Daxter would scream every time one of them mooed, waking up the old farmer and getting them into trouble with Samos.

Today, they were heading to Misty Island. Old Samos forbids them to even go there, but they managed to sneak off with the old Fisherman's boat. What Samos doesn't know won't hurt him.

Jak was startled by the sound of splashing as Daxter went head over heels out of the boat and into the deep murky water. He quickly glanced at the side of the boat where he fell in, and soon knew that Dax was ok when hands appeared on the side of the boat. Dax's head poked up and he spit water out of his mouth into the boat. Jak gave him a glare and Dax gave him a sheepish smile.

He shook his head as he sighed and held out a hand to quickly help Dax into the boat, before any Lurker Sharks noticed that he was in it. Dax grabbed on and Jak pulled hard and pulled Dax up over the side, sending both of them went tumbling down into the boat. They both sat up and Dax shook his head trying not to see the stars that were swirling around as Jak fell back laughing at him. Dax shook his head and gave jak a glare while he continued to laugh.

The boat got closer and closer to Misty Island. The water was getting darker as the mist slowly crept forward from the island. Around the island is where the deepest part of the water was. Dax gulped and hoped that all of the Lurker Sharks were asleep, far away from where the boat would be docked at.

Jak eased the boat up next to the old wooden dock. It was at least as old as jak and daxter was and was missing some of the planks . it stretched forty feet out into the water and connected just at the end of the island. Dax fell backwards and landed with a hard thump that echoed around the island when the boat bounced off the side of the dock. The fog that drifted around the island in a thick cloud, wrapping Jak in its chilly hug, sending goose bumps up and down his body.