day four.

the

"sorry, jungkook, but today you'll have to go alone. i've got to work a longer shift today."

taehyung's words echoed in jungkook's mind as he walked into the quiet house and turned on the kitchen light. what did yoongi want again? he checked his phone.

oh yeah. he wants cereal today.

walking over to the cabinets, he opened them, trying to look for the bowls, getting a bit frustrated.

"they're in that one."

jungkook turned around to see a smiling yoongi, standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"oh - hi, yoongi. aren't you supposed to be in bed?"

yoongi shrugged and walked over to the kitchen island, taking a seat on the bar stools. "nah, i needed to exercise."

jungkook got a bowl and poured in the cereal, once again silently debating if he should strike up a conversation.

"um, jungkook, where's taehyung?"

jungkook poured in the milk and looked up at yoongi. "he's working."

the older sighs softly. "i can't believe he got a second job. seriously."

jungkook placed the bowl of cereal in front of yoongi, eyes meeting his. "wait - second job?"

"yeah." yoongi stared plainly at the food and took a spoonful. "he has a job here. he gets paid to help me." the latter didn't say anything and placed a seat across from the elder.

he continued, "but it's not much, and he has to put his life first." they sat in silence for a moment, both unaware of what to say next.

jungkook's gaze when up to yoongi's face, calm and blank, the older of the two gazing down at his cereal, still untouched.

should i?

slowly, he got out of the chair, yoongi's gaze on his back. "where are you going?"

jungkook went over to the brown bag on the floor near the front door and put it on the kitchen counter.

yoongi tilted his head. "what's in that?"

hesitantly, jungkook pulled out a stuffed dog, placing it beside the bowl of cereal.

[a/n: imagine holly sitting on a white kitchen counter lmao idk]

jungkook felt his face flush as he waited for yoongi's reaction, what which felt like an eternity.

to his surprise, yoongi's face broke into a shy smile and he looked up at jungkook. "what's this?"

he picked it up, his eyes staring fondly at it.

nervous, jungkook bit his lip. "taehyung told me you used to have a dog that looks like this one. i saw it at the mall and decided to buy it for you."

he widened his eyes. "and it's okay if you don't want it, i understand if you don't like stuffed animals."

suddenly, yoongi's arms were around jungkook and his head was buried into the younger one's neck. "thank you. it's really cute."

jungkook returned the hug, his heart racing faster than it should. "you're welcome. It's really not much of a big deal."

they let go and yoongi held the toy in his hands, ignoring the faint blush on his cheeks.

after a couple seconds of comfortable silence, yoongi looked up at jungkook. "his name was holly."

jungkook nodded, wanting him to continue.

"he was adorable." yoongi sighed softly, a faint smile on his face. "he passed away a year ago."

pain was evident in his expression, but he showed a smile. "god, i'm getting soft again."

yoongi stared at jungkook. "but, really though. thank you." he played with the stuffed dog. "it's so cute."

he muttered under his breath so jungkook wouldn't hear. "like you."