{3} Down Memory Lane

Your POV

The final check-up before I could leave was torture. They bombarded me with questions and did so many scans and tests that it made me dizzy.

I sigh in relief as the final nurse leaves the room. Slumping back down onto the bed, I press my face into my pillow.

'Amnesia...' I laugh. 'Am-not-able-to-remember-things,' I cringe at my terrible joke and grab the edge of the bed to avoid falling off.

"Are you okay?" I half-smile when I see Katelyn in the doorway.

"Absolutely not," I say with tears in my eyes. "I think I've lost it."

She hastily runs towards me and sits down in the chair beside me. "What happened?"

I open my mouth to speak but close it. 'If we were friends before, I don't think we will be anymore if she hears my joke...' "Well... I thought of something..."

She tilts her head to the side. "Oh yeah?"

I bite my lip and stifle a laugh. "Why is the loss of memories called amnesia?"

She frowns. "Not sure. Why, does it bother you?"

I shake my head. "Not at all. Just wondering why it's called amnesia, instead of," I lean in close to her. "Am-not-able-to-remember,"

Her face goes blank and I burst out laughing. A smile starts to form on her lips, but her eyes are still blank.

She laughs. "You're back, I guess." I ask what she means by that. "The (Y/n) that used to be you always told horrible jokes and puns that made everyone cringe, but I guess Aphmau started to rub off on you too much,"

"Aphmeow?"

"Aphmau," she corrects. "She's our friend, do you remember her?"

I look up in thought. "Uh... kinda? Her name sounds familiar, but her face is kind of fuzzy..."

"Hm..." she turns around and grabs her backpack. She opens a pocket and pulls out her phone, looking for something on it. "Here! This is all of our friends! Do you recognize them?"

I take her phone and quickly scan the photo. Katelyn has her arms outstretched, so I assume she's the one taking the picture. I'm there beside her, smiling.

On the other side of me, there's a girl with black hair and amber eyes, winking, then another with pink hair and meif'wa ears behind her. A girl with orange hair has a hand clenched in a peace sign and is holding it above Katelyn's head.

There are only three more people, but I don't recognize them at all. One with brown hair and dark eyes has her arms wrapped around the meif'wa, one has peculiar eyes, one green and one blue, and the last one is frowning. I'm guessing he doesn't like the girl with black hair since she's holding onto him.

"No..." I sigh. "I don't remember any of them. They all look familiar, except this one," I point to the male with the two eye colours and werewolf tail and ears.

"Him? Really? You two were such close friends!"

"Oh," I try to think back on him, but my head starts to pound.

She taps my shoulder and takes her phone back. "That's Blaze. He's a werewolf, but you could probably already tell that. He planned on becoming the Alpha male, but Aaron, from last year, chose Ein as Alpha,"

"Blaze..." I repeat the name in my head.

"The one with black hair is Aphmau, and the one she's hugging is Zane. They're starting to become friends, but Zane is still really anti-social. The one with brown hair is Teony, and the one with orange hair is Lucinda. She's a witch."

I gasp. "That's mean!"

"No, I'm serious. She's a literal witch. Like, wizard and witch?"

I rub the back of my neck. "S-Sorry... I guess I'm still a little out of it..."

"That's okay," she smiles. "I don't like Lucinda, anyways. She's always trying to be better than me," she says bitterly.

"Well, what else can you tell me about Blaze?" I say quickly, trying to change the subject.

"Blaze?" I nod. "Well, to be frank, I don't know much about him. I know that Aphmau and him are friends, as you are their friend. But I know that he's as hotheaded as all the other werewolves," she says finally.

"Werewolves..." I repeat it in my head again. "Ah! I remember werewolves! They like to fight, right? And they have an Alpha male and female. Aphmau's the Alpha female, right?"

Her eyes light up. "Yes! Yes, you're right!" She pulls me into a hug. "I hope you recover fast..."

I wrap my arms around her. "Me too,"

We both turn our heads at the sound of a door. The same man from before is back. "You're okay to depart, (Y/n)," he takes a moment to look at Katelyn, then back at me.

"Thanks!" I say.

He nods curtly and exits the room. "Guess I gotta get outta here, now." I smile. "Mind coming over when I get home?"

"Sure!"

———

We're on our way out when an image flashes before my eyes.

A hooded man has his fingers wrapped around Blaze's throat as Blaze attempts to push him off. He suddenly looks towards me and screams, "Run, (Y/n)!"

I gasp and cover my eyes with my arm. 'What was that...?' I stare blankly at the back of Auntie Jeama's head. 'Am I remembering?'

As we approach her car, she turns around. "Sweetie, you alright?"

I nod. "Mostly right."

She hums and turns back to open the car door. I get into the passenger seat and relax myself onto the leather seat.

'Maybe, it isn't a memory...'

I shudder at the meet thought of a vision and laugh. 'I've already lost my memories, so am I losing my mind?'

A glint of purple draws me out of my trance and I glance towards Jeama.

She's smiling, but her eyes tell a different story. I open my mouth to speak, but she turns to look at me and smiles an even bigger smile. I smile hastily and I turn away, looking out the window.

'Am I really losing my mind?'