Chapter Twenty

After retrieving Nocturna's contacts and returning them to her, I'm still unsure of how to take this news. Sure she's an Evil Elemental, but four-hundred-and-fourteen years old? How is that even possible? How does she still look as youthful as she does? I mean... she looks like a regular teenage girl, not some ancient Elemental.

     After leaving the hospital wing, I've decided to head back to my bed space in the Fire Dorms and read a bit in the journal from before. The one I'd been abruptly shaken from while reading. I still remember the last words I'd read on the delicate page, in that near cursive handwriting:

     If you, dear reader, had been clever enough to recover my diary from where I had hidden it within the school, I think I can trust you with this seemingly-impossible and mind boggling piece of information.

     In the Demon Forest, far beyond the school is a-

     That had been where Nocturna had interrupted me. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the Evil Elemental yet. At times, she'll seem utterly harmless, while at others, she's completely crazed. While I might fear her and her abilities, I have a strange sense that tells me to protect her. A tiny voice in the back of my mind that begs me not to let the Keepers find her. As strong as she may be with all four of her Elements, Nocturna won't be able to battle her way free of a full-on Keeper attack. And I know, if they ever find out she's here, that's exactly what will happen.

     Silently, I make my way to my bed space and retrieve the journal from under my mattress. Closing the orange curtains around my bed space, I flip on the lamp on my nightstand and settle near the head of my bed, opening the pages of the ancient book. I turn through the yellowed and crumbling pages delicately, afraid of accidentally ripping the fragile old paper. But when I come to the page I'd been on, my eyes widen in surprised shock.

     The pages that have read the same words I remember so clearly are gone. I see bits of the torn pages at the book's delicate center. I gawk at the torn pages for a moment. There's nothing left. The unread pages -- all of that valuable information... it's gone. Literally ripped away from me. I resist the strong urge to throw the journal across the room and stomp on it, but I have a feeling that won't resolve anything.

     Then, a sense of understanding washes over my mind. Nocturna had been the one that had interrupted me while I was reading the last time I had the journal out.  Nocturna is one of the only people who knows I have it. I'm almost positive that it was Nocturna that tore out these pages, so I wouldn't know anything else about her. Is there something that she doesn't want me to know? A secret, perhaps?

     I snap the book closed and get up, turning off my lamp. I tug the curtains open and look around. I see that it's dark outside. Perfect. I need there to be as little light as possible. Slowly, I make my way to Chloe's bed space. "Chloe?" I hiss. "Are you in there?" 

     "No." Comes her sarcastic reply. Though a few moments later, her curtains are pulled back, revealing her. Her dark brown hair is pulled back into a ponytail like it normally is, and her bright blue eyes are staring at me in curiosity.

     I simply smile. "How would you like to go on a search?"

     Chloe looks down, then up again, an unsure expression on her face. For a moment, I expect her to refuse. Then she looks up again, and brushes her loose bangs from her face. She stares at me with those icy eyes with excited intensity. "What kind of search?"

~*~

SHORT CHAPPIE,  I KNOW. 

Ugh, I need to step up to the plate with this book. >n<

*sigh* Well, I hope you enjoyed the filler. Pretty much to show ya'll that I"m still here, alive, and active.

The next update will be sooner, and longer, I promise! :3

~Ravie