Chapter One

My body is greeted by the cool wind that sweeps over my skin like a soft ocean wave. It seems to whisper to me, like I am home.

My eyes flutter open and I am slightly surprised to find myself lying on a blanket on a breathtaking forest floor. The trees are evenly spaced and are dotted with green leaves, some even colorful flowers. The grass is soft, for even though my body lies on the blanket, my hand was carelessly in the grass just outside of the orange blanket. The air was a bit chilly, but it wasn't still. A soft breeze came every now and then, refreshing my skin.

I sat up slowly, looking around silently. All around me, colors were showing. In front of me was a cluster of berry bushes and fruit trees. It almost looked like a gigantic garden, but then I remembered the tall trees looming over me, trapping me in the forest.

A thought crossed my mind very suddenly.  Who am I?  I don't remember anything.  Where am I?  Some...  forest, but where?  I can remember that we live in Evelyn, but I can't remember...  me...

All of the sudden, I heard a twig snap from behind. Immediately, like a reflex, I jumped up and brought my light blue cloak up to cover most of my face, just my eyes peeking out, narrow slits. I didn't notice it before, so it must have been underneath me.

I looked up to see what had caused the noise. A grey wolf stood yards away from my blanket, standing with its side facing me, its head turned towards me. It had silver eyes that reminded me of the color of a crescent moon, bright and mysterious.

The wolf stood absolutely still, its gaze set on me. It seemed to know exactly what I was thinking, its shimmering eyes fixed on mine. I wasn't afraid of it; it seemed very familiar.

After seconds of silence, the wolf still not moving, a handsome boy came up from behind a thick oak tree with a shining sword at his side. He cocked his head to the side, then straightened it again, raising his sword. The boy, who had a beautiful face and dark brown hair, used his free hand to smooth his short bangs to the side. He took a few steps forward, then, almost acting like he had just apologized about something, slid the blade back into a brown leather scabbard at his waist.

In a serious tone, he looked into my eyes, just like the wolf had, and smiled a thin smile. "Sorry, thought you were someone else."

Feeling uncomfortable, I staggered backward from surprise and fear mixed together in an uncomfortable blend. I pulled the cloak tighter on me, its warmth blocking another breeze coming through.

Then, with a change of expression in his face, he said softly, "leave." It had a hint of worry in the tone, and the way he spoke made me nervous.

I stammered, "w-what?" I dipped my chin down, looking it up at him.

The boy nodded to the distance behind me. "You need to leave." Then, seeing the confusion in my face, added, "you do remember me, right? I know you went down, but Daniel was fighting me. Everyone else was fighting his Demons in the sudden attack they played on us."

I backed up slowly. "Please... leave me alone. Please." Seeing the wolf taking a step, I broke out into a run, jumping over fallen trees, small shrubs, and even a woodland creature or two. Whenever I had to leap over an object, I checked the ground to make sure it was sturdy to land on from being in the air. Every now and then I noticed large sticks where I was about to land, and so I placed my feet in front of them so I wouldn't injure myself.

Though I couldn't hear footsteps behind me, I had a feeling he was chasing me. Taking a chance, I looked behind me and was relieved to see nothing but forest. Good thing the strange guy left, I thought to myself, smiling as I ran.