17. Water

Misty and Ash walked towards another swimming lesson.

"I spoke to the head swimming instructor," Misty said. "He suggested we try something different. It's a bit drastic, but there are only two days left. Your stroke is good enough to swim fifty metres. What's holding you back is your fear of the water."

They reached the learners' pool. Ash stopped.

"We're not going in there this morning." Misty led Ash to another set of doors. There was a red warning notice: Danger. Diving Pool: No Admittance Without A Qualified Diving Instructor.

Ash stepped through the doors. The pool was fifty metres long. At one end diving suits and oxygen tanks hung from hooks. The water was clear, cleaned with salt instead of chlorine. Jash read the depth markings: six metres at the shallow end, fifteen metres at the deep end.

"No way am I swimming in that," Ash said, scared out of his mind.

"I'm sorry, Ash," Misty said. "There's no more time for the gentle approach."

Liam and Arif were walking towards Ash wearing swimming shorts and bright red T-shirts with Dive Instructor printed on them. James had seen Liam and Arif around, but hadn't spoken to them since they'd helped him through the obstacle course.

"Come here, Ash," Liam shouted. "Now." Ash started walking. He looked back at Misty. She looked worried. Piam and Arif walked Ash to the deep end of the pool.

"These are the rules," Arif explained. "You either dive in or we throw you in. If you swim fifty metres that's the end. If you climb out before you swim fifty metres, you get a one-minute rest before you jump back in or we throw you back in. After thirty minutes you get a ten-minute rest, then we go for another thirty minutes. If you still don't swim fifty metres we'll do more lessons with the same rules. Don't try to run off, don't fight, don't cry. We're bigger and stronger than you. It won't get you anywhere and it will make you tired. Do you understand?"

"I can't do this," Ash said.

"You haven't got a choice." They were at the end of the pool.

"Dive in," Arif ordered. Ash stood at the edge and hesitated. Arif and Liam each took an arm and a leg and flung him into the water. It was freezing. Salt burned Ash's eyes. Ash tipped his body forward to start swimming. His head went under and he breathed a mouthful of salty water. He started panicking. The side of the pool was only a few metres away. He struggled to the side, pulled himself up and took a long gasp of air.

"One minute," Arif said, looking at his diver's watch. Ash could hardly see.

"Please don't make me."

"Thirty seconds," Arif said.

"Please, I can't do this," Ash begged.

Liam took Ash by the arm and marched him to the end of the pool.

"If you dive in, you get an easier start than if we throw you," Liam said.

"Time," Arif said.

Ash tried not to think about the fifteen metres of freezing water below him. If he could just get his stroke going and not drink any water it wouldn't be so bad. Ash managed to swim ten metres, but the salt was blinding him and he had to give up.

By the fourth attempt Ash was used to the salt and cold. He made it nearly halfway along the pool, as far as he'd ever gone without stopping.

"Brilliant," Misty shouted. "You can do this, Ash."

Ash was tired but Arif and Liam showed no mercy, giving him one minute and making him dive back in. Ash only got a few metres before his aching arms got the better of him.

"Not good enough," Arif said. "You don't deserve a rest."

Ash could hardly hear above his pounding heart and gasps for air. They marched him up the pool and Ash jumped rather than suffer the humiliation of being thrown. He was so tired he'd forgotten to be scared. He swam a few metres, but his stroke was weak and he swallowed some water. Liam had to lift him out of the pool. Ash started coughing up water and snot on the poolside. Arif found a cloth and threw it at Ash.

"Wipe it up, fast." Ash meekly bent over and wiped the tiles. He was in a state, but he didn't want Liam and Arif to see. Liam grabbed him to march him back to the top of the pool. He broke free and swung a wild punch.

"Leave me alone," Ash shouted.

Liam grabbed his arm and twisted it tight behind his back. Ash sobbed in pain.

"You think you can beat us up, Ash?" Liam asked. "I'm twenty kilos heavier than you and I've got black belts in judo and karate. The only way you can beat us is to swim that pool." Liam let go of Ash's arm and shoved him into the water.

"Twenty metres this time, Ash," Liam shouted. "You want to punch me? Twenty metres or you're eating my fist."

Ash started to swim. He was shattered, but he was scared of what Liam would do when he got out of the pool. Ash managed twenty metres and a couple more. He swam back to the side. Liam reached to lift Ash out of the water. Ash grasped his hand nervously.

"Not bad," Liam said. "That's thirty minutes. You've got a ten-minute rest."

Ash slumped at the side of the pool. Misty rushed up and handed him a carton of orange juice. Arif and Liam sat down a few metres away.

'You OK?' Misty asked.

"Never better," Ash muttered, gulping back a sob.

"Don't cry, Ash," Misty said. "This is tough, but so are you."

"I'm not crying," Ash lied. "It's the salt in the water." Ash sucked his juice and worked something out. If he was able to swim fifty metres, his best chance would be when he was refreshed after the break. If he couldn't do it straight away, he was in for another half hour of humiliation. The prospect of being dragged about and forced back in the water seemed worse than drowning. If he passed out, so what? Anything was better than more of this.

"Time," Arif said. Ash walked to the end of the pool. It sounded fine in his head, but the pool still looked terrifying when his toes were curled over the edge. He started swimming strongly. He got some water in his mouth and spat it out. For the first time ever it didn't freak him out. Twenty-five metres. It didn't feel too bad. It was a personal best anyway.

Ash managed another ten metres. His pace was slowing. It was hard to keep his head up long enough to breathe. By forty metres his shoulders were agony. Misty was screaming her head off, Ash couldn't understand a word. The more effort he put in, the slower he seemed to get.

"Nearly there, Ash," Misty screamed. "Come on."

The last few metres was just mad thrashing about. He'd lost his breathing pattern, swallowed gallons and was holding his breath. But he made it. Ash lifted his face out of the water and took in the most beautiful air of his life.

Misty lifted him out and gave him a hug. She was crying, which made Ash start crying again. He walked over to Liam and Arif.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Ash said, "but thank you."

"Your fear of us has to be greater than your fear of the water," Liam said. "It's not fun, but it works."