32. Girl

Sebastian, Clark and Ash went to the main hut to feed. Guests had brought meat to barbecue, as well as the cold dishes laid out on a long table. Kian Dunn was serving vegetable curry. Ash wasn't mad on curry, but it was good stuff after being out in the cold. They took the food outside to the bonfire. A few dozen people sat on waterproof sheets around the fire. Sebastian and Clark found Fire and World and sat beside them.

"Hey, little psychos," Fire said.

"Hey, jailbirds," Clark said, referring to his cousins' spell in prison.

Fire and World were non-identical twins, with plaited hair and pierced eyebrows.

World looked at Ash. He sounded drunk. "Care to tell me what your sexy sister sees in our baby brother?"

Ash shrugged. "She's not fussy. Snogs anything with a pulse."

"What was that?" Misty said. Ash hadn't noticed her sitting a few metres away. All the Dunns laughed. Misty faced Ash off with her hands on her hips. Ash couldn't decide if she was angry or just messing.

"Nothing," Ash squirmed. "I was just saying what a nice couple you and Scargill make." Misty crushed Ash with a hug that took his feet off the ground.

"That's really sweet of you, Benny," Misty said. "Because after what I thought you said, I was going to kick all your teeth out."

Ash finished his curry and wandered off on his own. He noticed a girl leaning against a tree smoking. Long hair, baggy jeans. She was about Ash's age, nice looking. He didn't remember her from any of the intelligence files.

"Hey, want a puff?" She asked.

"No thanks, grandad died of lung cancer from smoking," Ash said improvising on the spot.

"Not seen you here before," the girl said.

"I'm Benjamin, Benny for short," Ash said. "Staying here with my aunt for a bit."

"Joanna," the girl said. "I live in Craddogh."

"Haven't been there yet," Ash said.

"It's a dump, two shops and a Post Office. Where you from?"

"London."

"I wish I was," Joanna said. "You like it here?"

"I'm always covered in mud. I want to go to bed, but there's a guy playing a guitar three metres from where I sleep. I wish I could go home, have a warm shower, and see my mates." Joanna smiled.

"So why are you staying with your aunt?"

"Long story: parents getting divorced. Mum freaking out. Got expelled from school."

"So you're good looking and you're a rebel," Joanna said.

Ash was glad it was quite dark because he felt himself blush.
Joanna flicked the cigarette butt into the night as she finished it.

"So, I paid you a compliment," Joanna said.

"Yeah."

Joanna laughed. "So do I get one back?" she asked.

"Oh, sure," Ash said. "You're really like... nice," though he felt guilty for saying that when having something for Serena back at campus.

"Can't I get any better than nice?"

"Beautiful," Ash regretfully said. "You're beautiful."

"That's more like it," Joanna said. "Want to kiss me?"

"Um, I'd prefer not to. I have a girlfriend." Ash said.

"Come on, just one. She'll never know, will she?" Joanna said.