Interlude Part 6

Song is "Over my Head" by the Fray. Speaks perfectly for what Bass is going through at the moment.

The horn finally quit roaring once I pulled onto the parking lot of Johnny's Market. For it being a Saturday evening, it was relatively quiet. I only counted one other car, parked on the far side of the small brick building.

The rain stopped, and the sun decided to show itself for the first time today. Just in time for sunset. I jumped from the cab of my truck and landed right in a puddle that sent the watery muck splashing up my bare legs. Fitting for how my day was already going.

The not-so-subtle high pitched ding dong of the chime when the door opened startled me. Did it make that noise the last time I was here? It was only a week ago, but still. My head hung low as I passed a row of hard liquor and wrapped my hand around a bottle of Jack. Cold to the touch, the same as the rest of the store.

Johnny kept the place like an icebox on purpose and was one of the main reasons everyone shopped here. Well, that and he didn't card anyone he liked. Fortunately, I was a member of that very small club.

I made my way to the rear of the store and grabbed a case of twenty-four beers. The door chimed and I rushed to the counter to pay. There was no way I could risk anyone seeing me here tonight. I set the alcohol besides the register, along with the added two packs of gum I found on a nearby display.

A guy, maybe a few years older than me, stepped from the back room. He peered at me with his brows raised to challenge. "I think you're a little young for that." He pulled the case of beer toward him but left the gum.

I was not in the mood for all this. My eyes zeroed on his name tag. "Greg, is it?" I asked while yanking the money from my wallet and plopping it on the counter to pay for the beer and the gum.

"Yeah," he answered snidely. Greg could have done without crossing his arms to appear intimidating. I was a good foot taller and had at least a fifty pounds on him. Albeit mine was all muscle. But I didn't think that mattered much to Greg.

My fingers pressed onto the counter as I leaned forward to see for myself. "Is Johnny around?"

"No. He left early—"

Greg was cut off by Johnny limping from the back room. Probably after sitting on his usual stool in front of the security cameras that he manned all day long. "Sebastian?" Johnny patted his bald head a few times and huffed. "Now where are my damn glasses?"

Greg tugged the eyeglass holder strung around the older man's neck. "Here you go, Uncle Johnny."

"Thank you, Greg." Johnny beamed and let his smile fall. "Now run along. I need to talk to Sebastian. Alone."

"But, Uncle Johnny," Greg said as Johnny shooed him away with his hand.

"Go on, boy." Johnny paused and leaned close to his nephew. "I told you. Now go. I can close up the shop tonight."

Greg glared right at me before untying his apron and throwing it on the chair behind him.

Johnny waved at Greg's retreating form. "Goodbye. Goodbye." He waited until we heard the door slam before adding, "Good riddance! What is it with you kids today? You all think you're smarter than us old timers. But yet."

I forced a smile to remain pleasant, even if it was the last thing I wanted to do. Johnny scooted the beer across the surface and set the gum on top.

"I guess this is to celebrate your big win today?" His dark eyes peered at me over the rim of his glasses. This was a test. An ornery old man, if Johnny knew about the accident, he wasn't letting on to it so far. Best to keep the ruse going if I wanted to walk out of here with more than a couple of lousy packs of gum.