Interlude Part 11

Song is "The Scientist" originally done by Coldplay but I like Corrinne Bailey Rae's cover.

Hey everyone! We want to thank Diamond_Star_Awards for naming Mirror Mirror Best Teen Fiction!But we need your help!!! There is a second phase ~ voting phase/showdown for which Mirror Mirror is going head to head with the winner of the romance genre! If all of you could help that would be awesomesauce!!!Please go over to:

https://www.wattpad.com/428782749-diamond-star-awards-winners-phase-2-voting

and vote for Mirror Mirror under Romance/Teen Fiction Winners please!!! (you can vote up to 5 times)Thanks peeps!!! XOXO

________________________________________________________________

 We continued toward room 303 in silent understanding. My mom strode toward us; eyes narrowed right at me. Probably from the goofy smile I wore at the satisfaction of achieving what I'd intended to do the moment my ass hit this damn wheelchair.

"Are you sure about this?" Mom said to Sarah while gesturing to me.

What the hell? I didn't need for Sarah to second guess her decision.

I shot my mom a bemused look, and she countered with one of her own. She didn't understand why this was so important to me. No one did.

Sarah stopped me right outside the doorway to room 303. "It's fine by me."

"Okay then," Mom said and patted my sore shoulder. She didn't even apologize when I groaned. "I'll just need you to sign a form adding Sebastian to the list of people allowed to visit. We can do that when we come back, though."

Sarah let go of the handle bars and started walking toward the exit. "I think I'm going to go grab a cup of coffee also before we have to leave for the funeral home. I'll just meet you downstairs here in about ten minutes or so."

"That's fine." My mom feigned a smile. Something was wrong, and I had no idea what. She waited until Sarah was at the elevators, waiting to board before continuing, "She hasn't seen Shelby yet."

"What?"

"Nothing." My mom spun the wheelchair so I could look into room 303. She made sure to stand in the way to block my view of Shelby though. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She shifted from one foot to the other and glanced over her shoulder. "Maybe it would be better if you waited a few days, honey. It's not—"

I stared at her with bold intent. "It's not what, Mom?"

She crouched to my level, which wasn't much. But it did allow me to ascertain what she meant. A steady swooshing of a machine beside the hospital bed as it served its purpose made her point loud and clear. Shelby was on a ventilator.

My stomach sank, along with my heart. A cold sweat blanketed me as I could only stare at my reflection in the glass wall.

Huh? Mom was right. I did look like shit with my busted lip and a black eye. There were even a few stitches near my hairline that I didn't even know were there.

Mom cleared her throat, and her fingers clenched the armrest of my chair. "Shit, Sebastian. I love Shelby, and I see patients coming in here like her every single day, but I can't even..." Her voice trailed off as she started to sob.

I wrapped an arm around her, pulling my mom into my shoulder. "Mom, I need to see her."

It wasn't a want, or a have. Seeing her was a need.