Interlude Part 12

Song is "What If" by Adam Friedman.

Mirror Mirror was in a few contests this past week that closed and we wanted to bow down to the winner of one: DarrenDean1 who won first place in the Heavenly Awards for Best Romance! We came in second, but Fall in May was a well-deserved win!

Make sure you go check it out! You'll fall in love with the story~

________________________________

The next couple of days passed in a haze. On Tuesday morning I was released from the hospital. My mom didn't waste any time and drove me straight me to the Sheriff's office where I was charged with reckless endangerment and driving under the influence. It took all of about three hours just as Sheriff Atkins and Mayor Clarke promised before I was finally bonded out by my mother.

That was an experience I never wanted to relive again.

Here it was Wednesday—and not any ordinary Wednesday. No, this one would rank as probably the worst Wednesdays of my life.

I sat outside the judge's chambers, all dressed for the day in my black suit and tie. It was far easier to head to the church for the funerals after I met with Judge Burgess to discuss my sentencing.

All I wanted was quick, painless and to get it all over with as soon as possible.

"Chris said to be respectful and smile." My mom tapped my leg. "But not too much. You don't want to come off as being smug or not repentant. But sad. Think of..."

"What happens here in a couple of hours?" I offered.

Mom turned her face, glancing toward the tall window at the other end of the hallway. "Yeah. I guess that would work too." Trying to hide her expression did nothing to mask the emotion in her voice.

One of the nearby doors squeaked open. "Mr. Birch," a short, middle-aged woman said. "Judge Burgess can see you now."

This was it. After forcing a deep breath from my lungs, I stood, as did my mom.

She nervously patted the lapel of my suit jacket. "You can do this." Her addition of a tame smile was intended to instill some calm.

It did nothing of the sort.

I was off and headed toward the doorway that would determine everything. From school to college. My punishment for being a complete and utter dumb ass. If only I would have never left that damn hospital the other night. If only.

"Here, take a seat." The woman waved at the two chairs situated before a grand dark wooden desk. I obliged and waited by myself. Seconds turned to minutes as I gazed at all the framed degrees, diplomas, and pictures of the judge (I assumed). One with the governor. Another taken with a local senator at some election from the looks of it.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long, Mr. Birch," a surly, baritone voice said from behind and garnered my utmost attention.

I straightened in my chair, maneuvering my tie to the correct position. "No." I paused, clearing my throat and stood to greet him. "No, sir."

"Very well." He made his way to the desk, depositing a stack of files on top. "Please take a seat."

I obliged, waiting for him to take the lead. For the next twenty minutes, he told me story after story of his "glory days" of playing basketball. I sat there, nodding my agreement while adding a smile and chuckle where I deemed appropriate.