Chapter 39: Game Board

Hi! Ok...not much of a note becase I have no time. I'm super busy and my grandparents are here (ugh! Don't even get me started on the annoying nuisance they are...trust me, it's not a "be lucky you have them" thing because they make my entire family upset and tense and blegh) and tons of work AND I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from schools :( So lots to do...and I have prom in a couple weeks so I gotta exercise and look good haha (plus, all my emotion is dealt with physically so I exercise a LOT lately). Chapter 40 isn't even finished!

Anyway though, as always, your guys' comments DO make me feel good:) So keep commenting! I love them all! This chapter is dedicated to physcosis for her amazing comments omg I love them you always have something to say!<3

The offer is extended: anyone who comments a lot (you know who you are) and has a favorite chapter, if it is not already taken I will totally dedicate it to you!:) Enjoy my darlings!<3

ELLE'S POV

The pirate, having turned Elle around by her shoulder to face him, leaned back and peered incredulously at her. She took half a step back out of instinct, her memories of being alone with this man were anything but comforting. She knew she should feel more anger, more fear, but her chest just felt heavy and numb.

"What happened?" he breathed, eyes narrowed, shaking his head slightly. Elle just shook her head. "Between you two," he amended, probably thinking she didn't understand the question. She understood, she just didn't know how to answer. She didn't want to answer, especially not to him.

"Uh," the grown-up Baelfire tried, breaking the silence and earning all their eyes on him. His flitted around, clearly not actually having a plan further than that. "So...you're her, then?"

"Who's her?" she kept her face and voice as neutral as she could.

"When I was with the Lost Boys, they told, ah, they told stories about you," he stumbled out, rubbing the back of his head. "Always hushed stories though, never at the fire or in front of Pan or, or anything," he trailed, looking around and shifting his weight.

The pirate chuckled drily. "Yes, I'm sure they did," his eyes stayed focused on Elle, studying her. She kept herself stiff and strong under his gaze. "The game has changed, and for once in a way even Pan didn't see coming and doesn't know how to play," he said, obviously relishing the words. The other two didn't look quite as happy as he did, but still a bit relieved. Elle felt her stomach clench, wondering what had been going on.

The blonde woman stared at him for a beat, then shook her head and gestured loosely to Elle, eyes slightly narrowed at the pirate. "Shouldn't we tie her up or something? If she's so important?" At that, the anger and fear finally came. Her hair, strands still hanging in her face, glowed a bit brighter as she tensed. She wasn't going to run to Pan, and she had helped these grown-ups in his presence, but that didn't mean she was helpless or planning on being so.

Elle glared at the pirate, challenging him, who smirked at her. "No need," he said confidently, tightening his grip on her shoulder slightly. "He may not have realized it yet, but this is Pan's true love," Elle, though her mind went blank in shock and disbelief-and anger-still noted the audible gasps from the other two grown-ups. His laugh snapped her back to the present. "Told you the board has changed in our favor."

"No way can he feel something like that," the woman argued, scoffing. Elle silently agreed.

"Well, something obviously happened between now and the last time I was here," the pirate said slowly, half in thought. "And if you didn't resist me, and didn't just disappear like I know you can," the pirate breathed, blue eyes drilling into hers. Elle met his gaze steadily, silently, keeping her whole body stiff. "You're not going anywhere anytime soon," he finished, smirking slightly. It didn't reach his eyes. In fact, he seemed a bit sad...for her?