chapter 4:

"Alright! Are you ready to go shopping!?" Gen asked as we dropped the boys of at daycare.

"Not really." I said as I stared out the window.

"C'mon, don't be that way.  It's going to be so much fun!"

"Yeah, I'm sure." I said in the same flat tone.

"Listen Esmeralda, I understand that this is a huge change in your life.  I know you don't seem used to being spoiled and that's perfectly understandable, but we want to change that.  We want you to have the life you dreamed of when you were little.  Now c'mon, cheer up, were going to have fun and we're going to buy stuff, it's going to be fun!"

"Okay,"

She sighed as we drove in silence the rest of the way to the mall.

We finally made it to the mall after almost ten minutes of awkward silence and I followed her in.

"Alright, well where do you want to go first?" Gen asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and told her wherever she wanted to go first.

It wasn't very long before I completely turned against myself and started really liking shopping.

"See, I told you you like this!" Gen said happily as she saw me enjoying myself.

"I don't remember you ever saying that." I said laughing.

She simply laughed as we continued to shop.

"Ohh, Esme, what do you think of this?  It would look so cute on you." She asked holding up a white shirt with flowers lacing the hem.

"I don't know, it's not really my style."

"Come on it'd look so cute on you!"

"Fine, but I don't know when I'm ever gonna wear it."

"You will, trust me."

I wasn't sure how long we had been here but when we finally got ready to go we were carrying so many bags and we had already taken a ton of bags to the car.

"Well, I'd call this a pretty good day."

I laughed and we got in the car and drove back to the house.  She told me we wouldn't have to go and pick up the boys for another hour or so.

"So, did you actually end up having fun?"

"I actually did, thank you for taking me but seriously you didn't have to buy me anything."

"Yes, I did, you deserve nice things and that's what you go.  A lot of nice things."

Just then we pulled into the garage and started grabbing bags out of the trunk.  It took about two trips with help from Jared to get everything up to my room.

"Well, Jared do you want to help her get everything situated while I go watch Odetta?" Gen asked.

"But she's asleep." Jared said confused.  I watched gen glare at him before a look of realization crossed his face and he agreed.

Yeh walked out of the room as I grabbed one of the many bags.

"So, Esme, tell me more about yourself."

"I've told you just about everything I'm not a very interesting person."

"I highly doubt that.  So tell me what's uhh... What's your biggest fear? Wait, no I already asked you that." He put his hand under his chin as he tried to find a question as I started putting my clothes in the walk in closet.

"Ummm, when's your birthday, yeah. I never asked that!" He said triumphantly.

"It's October 31."