Chapter 2:

After the interview, I was pushed to my limits. My brain was about to explode. I had all the boys talking about their happy and perfect lives and here I was and my life was terrible. Sure I had money and I was famous but all of that meant nothing when he didn’t understand that. I had no one to share it with and then the boys were just bragging about their perfect little families. ‘Perrie and I…’ ‘Hope and I…’ ‘Jade and I…’ ‘Bella and I…’ ‘My mum called me last night…’ I was lucky to get a phone call from my parents once a month and that was only if I did something they didn’t like.

Jealousy like I’d never experienced before in my life, rose in me like steam. Not only did these boys have each other but each of them had their own support system on top of that and they didn’t even realise how damn lucky they were to have that. Where was my fucking support system? Amber didn’t count.

When we said goodbye to the hosts and walked off of the stage I didn’t even say anything to the boys. Screw Amber. I needed a cigarette. I needed to let off steam. I felt so freaking alone. I knew people had families but I never imagined it to be how the boys had described theirs. They spoke of their families with so much love and affection. I had only two people and one of them didn’t understand and people I couldn’t stand surrounded him. They were the kind of people that whenever you saw them you’d argue with them and they’d point out every flaw and bad decision you’d ever made from the time you were born also known as parents.

            “Daisy!” Amber called after me as I grabbed my purse and walked to the exit door. “Daisy!” she called again when I ignored her. I didn’t listen. I never listened. Yet again another reminder of how I was such a huge disappointment. “Daisy Daniels!” I heard her shriek and I could imagine her flaming face burning into my back but I just pushed opened the exit door and stepped outside. The door slammed shut. I didn’t feel like talking. Especially not to her.

I slid down the wall as I breathed in the fresh, cool air. This was good. Alone was good. I dug through my purse and found my cigarette packet, snagged one between my lips and lit it up with my lighter, which had one of my favourite quotes on it, ‘we’re all addicted to something that takes the pain away’. Mine happened to be cigarettes and alcohol. There was nothing better to take it away with.

The door opened and I looked up to see Liam. He was wearing the same clothes he wore in the interview, but somehow he looked more … rumpled. His hair was messy and his jeans had fallen slightly and his shirt seemed more wrinkled.

Liam was the last person I wanted to see. The whole group were the last people I wanted to see. I looked away from him without saying anything. Why couldn’t I just be alone? Was it really so hard to give a girl five minutes of alone time?

            “You know cigarette’s kill,” Liam informed me taking a seat next to me and I thought screw Amber. I had made my decision right there. I didn’t care about her rules and I wasn’t going to follow them. Just for that one day, I wasn’t going to listen to her and knowing that felt satisfying. Like I was getting me back.

            “I didn’t give you permission to sit next to me,” I said in a monotone voice. It was rude and I knew it and I was hoping that he’d get the message: I wanted to be alone.

            “I didn’t know you smoked,” he commented, ignoring my comment. I guess smoking didn’t fit in with my ‘good girl’ image.

            “I didn’t know people could be so freaking annoying.” The comment was directed at him but he acted like it wasn’t and I rolled my eyes.

            “Well aren’t you a bright little ray of sunshine?”

            “Piss off.” I wasn’t in the mood to play happy, good girl and certainly not with Mr-I’ve-got-the-best-family-in-the-world. Sometimes I feel so alone that I get made at people who aren’t. Kind of like, why do they get a better life than me? What did I do to deserve a life of loneliness?