Scene 5

It's Saturday, and [Name] doesn't have to work today. On free days like this, [Name] usually paints on her canvas, or draws in her sketchbook. But today's a little different. Her little brother, Luke [Last Name], also has a day off and so they decide to spend time together.

Right now, the two are walking down the street, eating burritos they got from a food truck. It's messy but they don't mind.

"Do you have a day off tomorrow too?" [Name] asks before taking a bite of her food.

Luke shakes his head and speaks with his mouth full. "Nah, jush tadey."

The two stop off at the park and sit on the bench in front of the fountain. The siblings eat peacefully and people watch, sometimes commenting on the way people dress themselves and dress their kids.

It's evident that spring is coming as the days become warmer, and the fewer clothes people begin to wear. It's definitely evident as [Name] sees her brother wearing less formal clothing and transitioning into business casual.

The older sibling breathes in the fresh air and looks at the vibrant world around her. "We should do this more often," she says.

"What? You mean eat burritos?" He asks, tossing his garbage away in the trashcan that's conveniently next to him.

"How can you be so smart yet so dumb," she grumbles. In a louder voice she says, "No you idiot, I mean watching the world go by peacefully. Isn't this great?"

Luke ponders for a moment, then says, "No it's actually kinda boring. Let's go to the arcade."

"You suck."

Nevertheless, [Name] follows her brother to the arcade. The first thing they play, after receiving tokens, of course, is the crane game. Luke tries so hard to win his big sister that fluffy yellow duck and nearly spends all his coins trying to pick it up with that unreliable grappling hook. [Name] has to push him away from the machine in order for him to stop.

"Look, man, it's not worth it," she says, suppressing an airy chuckle. "As much as I want it and as cute as it is, it's not worth it."

They spend hours at the arcade playing a multitude of games like DDR, Pac-man, and mortal kombat. They nearly spend the rest of their coins, but still, have some left over. Luke gives the remaining twenty-two coins to a nearby child and both adults walk out.

It's around 2:20 pm when the siblings return to the open air of the city. They wander around, taking the long way home. The next item on their list of things to do is watch a movie. They usually pick an action or thriller movie, but today they decide on a comedy.

As they make a blanket fort together and pop popcorn, they surf through the many movies and decide on one. They huddle together under the blanket fort with their popcorn while the movie begins.

Ace decides to join the two siblings and settles between them, pawing at any movement from the blanket.

Hours pass, and neither sibling makes it through the entire movie. Both fall asleep under the many blankets. Luke's hand ended up in the nearly empty popcorn bowl, and [Name's] hand is on Luke's face. Ace sits impatiently at her food bowl, for both forgot to get up and feed her.

It isn't until Ace brutally attacks Luke's hand that they wake up. Luke wakes up from the attack and [Name] is brought to consciousness by Luke's high pitched scream.

It's two o'clock in the morning, both are groggy and aching from the hard floor that their bodies were pressed against. Luke is the first to stand, his back popping in the process.

Ace hisses to grab his attention and scampers away when [Name] pushes herself off the blanketed floor. Her side and lower back aches as she slowly lifts herself from the floor.