Day 26 - Back in the Saddle

Past: June 8, 2007

Mommy Gina approached her sleeping son lying on his bed, in yet another hospital. It was almost two weeks now since they transferred him to this hospital with better facilities to handle his condition.

He looks like a sleeping angel. Her angel, whom they are now in the brink of losing if he will not receive a new heart he so badly needs. She wipes her tears. She promised her husband that she will be strong for their son.

But what is a mother to do? They feel so helpless. He holds so much promise and potential, remembering his achievements in his younger years. Such an active kid, an over achiever in school and whatever activity he participated in.

Then in just a span of two years, with his heart gradually weakening and his condition turning for the worse, the glow in his eyes slowly disappeared too.

If she could only give him her heart.

"O, umiiyak ka na naman."

"Ang hirap Daddy, kahit may pera tayo, wala naman tayong magawa. I can't bear to see him like this. Bakit gano'n? Why do all the hearts that are becoming available not compatible with his tissues? Is it too hard to find a compatible donor? Gano'n ba siya kahirap ihanap ng puso?"

"Just like what the doctor said, this is not like kidney or liver transplant where we can look and line up potential living candidates. A human has only one heart. We're at the mercy of those dying everyday, morbid as it may sound. We cannot take any chances. Hindi naman puwedeng just any donor would do, at baka ilang buwan o taon lang ang itagal niya."

"Masama mang pakinggan, do you know that I now diligently watch the news hoping that in one of those accidents or crimes, one of the victims may turn out to be a voluntary organ donor and that somehow, somewhere, their heart will be compatible with his? I feel so helpless Daddy. I don't want to lose him."

"Sshhh.... I still have strong faith that we'll find a heart for him or a heart will find him. Hindi mo ba napansin, mas positive na ang attitude niya ngayon? Na hindi na siya gano'ng ka-negative? It seems that he found a new will to live? Lalo na pag hawak o nakikinig siya sa transistor na yan? Isn't that something to smile about? At least lumalaban na siya."

"And we never got to thank the blind girl he's talking about. Kahit nakukulitan siya, bukambibig naman niya. I would do anything to help her kung makikilala ko lang siya. Speaking of transistor, did you buy the batteries that he requested?"

"Of course! Ang inaalala ko lang mommy, hindi kaya maging madrama itong anak mo paglaki, pati drama sa radyo pinapakinggan na?"

"Okay na ko sa drama, basta buhay siya."

Present: June 8, 2017

Shocks! It's already 5am! Ano ba yan? I overslept again. Hindi ko narinig ang alarm?

Maine scrambled to get up to take a quick shower. Cannot afford to blow dry my hair, towel damp na lang, carry na yan. Haaays! Magkaka-blot for the first time ang aking malinis na record of time and attendance.

She hurriedly dressed up, picking the first wash and wear dress in the closet she got her hands on, a dab of perfume, touch of lipstick. There, I'm done. 5:45am. Kaya pa? Kaya yan.

Kasalanan 'to ni Tisoy. Yes, isisi sa kanya ang puyat. Sa research, ok? puyat sa research! Idagdag pa ang hirap mag-abang ng sasakyan. Ayaw pa kasing bumili ni Ate ng kotse at ini-enjoy pa ang Uber at Grab. Sarap siguro mag-drive dito sa Manila, exciting with all these buses, jeepneys and taxis. Haaay, kainis! Sana may dumaan na. Ano ba!