Day 14 - Who Are You?

A/N: Ano mga bes, naka-recover na ba kayo sa mga kaganapan kagabi? Wait there's more...

PAST: May 27, 2007

The nurse closed the door as soon as she entered his hospital room.

Holding her walking stick and a small paper bag in her other hand, Menggay found her way to the chair beside his bed. Feeling the chair, she sat down and put her walking stick against the wall.

Pinapanood lang siya ni RJ, at least the blurry figure.

Today is not a good day. He's feeling weak, probably because of all the stress tests that they made him do yesterday.

Not hearing any voice, Menggay wondered where he is. "Tao po? Anybody home? Yuhoo! Anybody home?"

She was about to stand up when he spoke in a weak voice. "You're late."

Even speaking is a struggle, but how can he not talk to her?

"Hala, bakit anong oras na ba? Huwag ka na magalit. Bumalik naman ako diba?"

From the blurry image he can make out, she's wearing some sort of a yellow dress today and pigtails again.

He's been watching for her for the past hour, ever since his mother left to take her lunch and run some errands. She was worried that she's leaving him alone, but he was adamant, even in his weakened condition that he'll be fine.

"Late ka pa rin."

"May kasabihan nga tayo, huli man daw at magaling..."

"Ano?"

"Huli pa rin. Smile ka na ... ano. Ano ba kasing pangalan mo? Hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa alam. Sabi ni ateng Nurse, pangalan daw ng doktor yung nasa labas ng pinto ng kuwarto mo. Ganon ba talaga pag kuwarto ng mayaman?"

"Hindi mo na kailangang malaman."

"Bakit? May bayad ba para kunin pangalan mo?"

He gathered his strength to speak longer "Para pag nawala ako, masasama lang ako sa statistics. Minus 1 lang. Walang identity. Walang pangalan, just like in the news."

"Teka, akala mo walang paraan diyan? Ipapatanong ko kay Nurse mamaya sa Nurse station."

"Tisoy."

"Sinong Tisoy?"

"Just call me Tisoy." His mother's endearment for him.

A nurse came in to take his vitals and told him not to tire himself in talking. Imagine getting tired in talking? Menggay was itching to ask the nurse his name but decided not to. She promised instead that she'll do all the talking.

"Huwag kang mag-alala miss, akong bahala. Alam ko kung paano siya tatahimik. Kukulitin ko na lang siya."

God help him but RJ smiled for the first time. This surprised even the nurse who excitedly went out to tell the good news to her colleagues at the nurse station.

"Tell me a story."

"Naku, wala akong masyadong alam na kuwento. Balita gusto mo?"

"I haven't read any newspapers in three days now.... ayaw ni Mama."

"O huwag ka nga raw magsalita, mapapagod ka. May surprise na lang ako sa 'yo." She felt for the wall and the paper bag she brought with her.

Menggay excitedly pulled out her surprise. "Dya-ran!!! Transistor! Gusto mo ba ng drama sa hapon? Puwede tayong makinig."

"There's TV in the room."