Chapter Fourteen: The Return - Part One

"Hello, your highness." Katherine, the old and kind retired Koopa Troopa, croaked. Above her, berry pink short heels stood on the edge of a warp pipe. Her bright blue eyes quickly searched the scene to see where they were, apparently not noticing the old woman. A sharp intake of breath filled her lungs as her eyes widened and a smile pulled at her lips- yes, it was true. They were safe and out of dark, cold Koopa Castle. She eagerly hopped down, the bottom of her dress dampened by dew covered grass.

After her climbed out Mario. "Where are we?" He asked. The princess opened her mouth to answer but was interrupted by a grunt as Luigi tumbled to the ground out of the pipe. "Oof... Where are we?" He repeated. "That's what I said-" Mario mumbled but was cut of by Luigi uncharacteristically shouting. "YA HOO!!!!! NO MORE KOOPA CASTLE!!! We're FREEEEEE!" He said, crying tears of joy. Mario looked at him in concern.

Princess Peach ignored Luigi's outburst of glee. "Yes, we're out of the castle. But we still don't know where we are. It wouldn't be any help if we were out of the castle but a million miles away from my kingdom." She said, biting her lip and forcing herself not to think about what kind of shape her once beautiful, happy kingdom was now in.

"Ahem... excuse me, Princess." A soft old voice repeated. Mario and the princess looked down at her- Luigi was rolling around in the grass and yelling in happiness still. "Welcome to Toapa Farm. My husband and I have lived here for years. I always told him that it would be a good idea to maintain this warp pipe. You know, for emergencies. I never had the courage to go down it, in fear that it would lead me to somewhere dangerous. Please tell me, you two... where did you come from?" She smiled softly. "Bowser Castle Dungeons." Mario replied. "This pipe allowed us to escape."

"How far are we from my palace?" Peach demanded, trying not to be rude. Katherine just laughed. "What's the rush, Princess? There's no hurry... you see, Toapa Farm is exactly on the border between the Koopa Kingdom and the Mushroom Kingdom." Mario gaped at her. "Uh... hate to break it to ya, lady, but the Mushroom Kingdom-" Mario rudely began but stopped as Peach's gloved hand covered his mouth. "Blissful ignorance..." she whispered.

"Thank you!" The princess smiled cordially and then ran off quickly with Mario. Luigi, who had just snapped out of his daze, looked around. "You know, Mario, I wonder why they call this place Toapa Farm." He said dreamily, unaware he had been forgotten. "I'm glad you asked!" Katherine excitedly said.

To be Continued...